No Shox?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SaintJude

My friend is planning to drop his Civic like me, but in a different way. We're only dropping it down by about 1.5" but I'm buying some Tokico Blues (Tokico performance) shock absorbers whereas he's a little strapped for cash. He's thinking about buying simple Eibach Springs and just putting those in. We know we're fine without Camber Kits cause we're only dropping it 1.5", not ghetto slamming it to the ground. But I'm somewhat concerned that he isn't buying new shock absorbers and is sticking with the stock shocks. You think he'll be alright? :unsure:

they are probably getting close to needing replacement, but you'll know when they are done cause the car will start bouncing after each big bump.

I installed my Eibach Pro-Kits over my stock shocks (95 Civic) at 50k, and the shocks lasted until about 65k without any issues. I actually need to get rid of my Pro-Kits (going with coilovers) if your friend is interested.

$150 obo

The shop is charging us $115 to install the springs, you think we should just save money and do it ourselves? Or is replacing springs not a job for a beginner? I have the instruction article from this site and all.

$115 isn't really that bad... some of the shops around here charge more than that to install springs, especially if you're reusing your existing shocks (they don't like dealing with spring compressors). I would just tackle it yourself, if you feel confident enough to do it. It's not that hard- you just have to be careful, get the right tools (maybe a spring compressor), and be prepared for bolts that might be frozen in place. I've always done my own suspension work, but I cheat now and have impact tools in my garage.

If you have impact tools, definately do it yourself. It's very straight forward, even following a stupid Haynes manual.
If not and you want to fight with a spring compressor, I'd say the $115 is good money spent.

installing them yourself is really easy, but it was really greasy for me( both cv boots on both of the half shafts were torn) took me about 4 hours to do it, *no spring compressor* but that was the first time i had pretty much even taken the wheel off.

Back