no signal to ignition

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jimboburgess

Go fast, Go Cheap
so i finished working on my car and i cannot get it started.

it seems as though there is no signal to the starter, i tried replacing it and it wasn't that. i did get the engine to turn over once today and once yesterday.
yesterday right after taking it for a test run after push starting it.
and today after unbolting the ecu from its mounts i tried to start the car by running a signal to the starter direct from the battery.

How many amps does the starter signal need ?

what do you guys think it could be?

also, my ecu cut fuel in 3rd and 4th gear after about 4000rpm is that going into limp mode, it only does it @ WOT and not in first or second.

Ideas are welcome.

i am really frustrated about this one. it seems like a short since when i moved my ecu it started. but how would a short develop from it sitting over the winter?
help please

i turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens. . .
no click from the starter as though it was a low battery
no starter running and running but not turning over the engine as though it was a bad fuel pump or filter or some matter of the fuel system, when i have gotten it to start it ran fine aside from what was mentioned above.
i turn the key and lights turn on but no engine noise at all.
at this point it seems like a short somewhere in the system i just need to isolate it. maybe the harnessbetween theecu and the engine bay.

can you post your e-mail i'll write you there by the time I get done typing the prcedure for the test and try to send it the fourm says i'm not loged in and erases every thing, i've tryied it twice!

Last edited:
The first thing you need to do is check your fuse. If your fuse is good then you start with the hot wire to your starter, check, do you have power at the starter? If not, split your line in half. What I mean by that is go halfway from your starter to the battery and check for power. No power? If so your problem is between there and your starter. Check for bad connections, breaks, etc. If you do have power on the hot lead at the starter, go to your ignition wire at the starter. Have someone turn the key. No power? If so, go inside the fire wall, check for power. If you have power there your "open" ("open" is a brake in the wire "short" is short circuit which would spark/and/or blow fuse") is between there and your starter. Check all connections. Make sure they are tight and clean. You can also use a multimeter with a beep test function to test this: Just don't turn your key on and test from point ! to point b. If it beeps you got a connection, if not, you got an open. Good luck!:)

Last edited:
Back