no spark. new swap. rywire race harness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

autox19

i have an obd1 swap in a non honda car. i am using a rywire race harness for the swap. the engine ran in the honda it was in (using the stock harness) before the swap. the one part that has me baffled is the #1 pin on the dizzy that is supposed to be ign signal. it traces back to a21 on the ecu. with key on should this have power? i am going nuts trying to troubleshoot this and any help would be great.

odie

fiat x1/9 with a B16 swap

I will check. The car is at my friends house. Is this a symptom of a ground issue? Being the custom harness I know it doesnt have the typical ground near the thermostat. I also pull 2 codes that are expected. iat and eld ( I havent customized the rom yet to not look for eld)

Odie

I am thinking I should be able to take a pinout from the ecu and trace the ones that should be grounded. That should let me know if all the grounds are correct. Or should I use a schematic to do this?

saw this on another thread, does this hold true?
"I really don't have a good answer, but your B18A and B18B PR4 ECUs are different. In addition, MOST OBD1 ECUs do require A21 and A22 to be wired to the igniter unit."

Odie

It may be an issue with your harness. If it was me, I'd contact the engine harness company and have them send me a pin out while cross referencing with OEM pin outs. It's rare but they sometimes mess up on the pin outs.

IMO You should have 3 grounds....in addition to the one at the thermo housing off engine harness. Valve cover, transmission and engine block.

good call! I have contacted rywire and they are having me follow the pinouts from the ecu. He apologized if they are off, they have only had a small handfull that have been in the hundreds that they have sold, but anything is possible.

appreciate your help!!

Odie

looks like its the ignitor. We have a pulse coming from A21 (at least a variance in voltage). 12v going to the ignitor, but 0v coming out of the ignitor going to the + of the coil. Replacing the Dizzy as getting the whole thing new will eliminate anything with the dizzy. if it isnt here. the ECU is next.

thanks for help

Odie

Back