No SPark on JDM D15B Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HernandezInc

So I picked up this 92 Civic Automatic with a blown engine. No compression in #1 and 4 cyl's. I figured I could drop in another stock D15 and sell the dam thing and make some money, right?! Wrong! I ordered the engine from Japan and received a carbureted version of the same year. Everything was drop in and go. I was told all I had to do was use all the components from the old engine. So I did. Intake, wiring harness, dizzy, tranny. The only mod I had to do was block off the old fuel pump outlet on the JDM head. Done. Swap is complete. Turn the key, and car won't start. So I checked for restricted air, proper fuel pressure delivery and spark. Bingo! No spark! So I checked all connections, grounds and wires for broken , loose or disconnected. All was ok. Grabbed the ol multimeter and checked coil, ECM and engine voltage. Got 12.49 volts going into dizzy. Readings for coil and ECM were within spec according to Haynes manual. changed the cap, rotor, coil, wires, plugs, and ECM anyway just in case something was wrong with the readings I got. Nothing dammit. Engine ground wire reads over 12 volts going to the chasis also. I am now waiting for a dizzy I bought from E-bay hoping that something is totally wrong with the intergrity of the dizzy itself. If it's not that then what could it be? I also checked the Main fuel relay and the ECU gives no trouble codes. This is OBDI stock D15B7 automatic, no mods, Civic LX 1992. Do I need the JDM ECU? Can't get it cause it was a carbureted engine. Or is it a timing issue? All marks are in fact aligned too. I tried cranking the engine and moving the dizzy tiny bits at a time between cranks. No spark either.
Suggestions anyone?:huh:

even with poor timing, you'd have spark.

check for popped fuses, tranny mount ground wire (the main ground), and re-trace your wiring to make sure everything is plugged in properly

Hmmm.

:huh: I did check the tranny ground and got over 12 volt reading. Believe it was around 12.4 Also checked the other ground going from the valve cover to the chasis. That was over 12 also. I checked for fuses but only those that seemed to matter. I will go in again and check them all and I will recheck and move around all the connections just in case something is loose inside a plug.
Thank you Sol. I'll let you know how it went by tom night.

Stick a fork in me...I'm done

Hey I checked the grounds again, all plugs, moved the wiring around replaced the dizzy and checked the resistance on the TDC, CYP and CKP sensors. All sensors turned out ok. I pulled anything that even looked like a fuse and they were all good. So I'm done with this one. I have a meet with someone sho is supposed to be a bad ass mech. If he can start it I'' post it here for all to benefit from the findings. That will post next week sometime since he prob won't make it here until the weekend. Thankx team.

Back