no spark/ rotor isnt turning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

paulsen

sponge of knowlege
hi i have a 98 tegy i have no spark i opend up the dizzy and i dont see the rotor turning as the motor turns over, what could it be timing belt? broken dizzy? am i overlooking anything,i havnt had a chance to pull of the valve cover yet, any info is much appretiated

well the distributor is on the opposite side of the timing belt.

take your valve cover off and spin the motor over by and. you will see the cams/belt turn... maybe your distributor is not in all the way or it is broken.

ok is that a common problem? and if not, if the timing belt did break would the valves be hitting the pistons? is this b18b a contact motor? this is my friends car and i dont know much about this motor, and i would just like to know where to start, would the motor still be sucking in air and breathing exhaust? if so would it breath as if it had a miss? like one valve is closed?

Most likely either a broken timing belt or your the bearing in your distributor may have froze. Take off your dist. and spin it, if it is OK pull off your cover and check the belt.

ok so i took off the valve cover, inside i find two cam gears, with rubber dust on them. when i turn the motor over i notice that the crankshaft pulley is the only pulley turning, and it has ground all of the teeth on the belt

what could cause the cam gears not to spin? and is this motor a non contact motor or should i check my valves and pistons too?

Get a new timing belt, set it to TDC and see if the motor is ok. Don't spend any more money on a motor that could have bent valves.

the timing belt is still on the gears its just does not spin due to the teeth being worn around the crank pulley,

is it possible if the bottom end is turning but not the cams to bend or break a valve? does anybody know

Its an interferance motor if the bottom end is turning and the cams arent there is a good chance that the valves and pistons are mangled.

Yeah, that's why just get a timing belt to see if you didn't mess shit up already.

its not my car, the owner brought it to me so i could look into it for him, he said he was driving and the car started to act as if there was a lack of power, and it only got worse the harder he pressed on the gas. at this point the car turns over, but nothing in thetop end turns. what do you think?

as already stated... the easiest thing to do would be to get a new timing belt, set the engine to TDC and get everything back to square one. then do a compression test and you will know if the valves are bent.

From what HE described I think the timing belt wore out, skipped some teeth or it took some teeth off and the timing got out of wack so the more he drove it the more the timing got out and the worse it ran.

Last edited:
ok that makes alot of sense i just dont want to spend any more time in vain ,thanks for the information ill do that today, i appretiate it

update, old timing belt missing about four inches of teeth, and the other teeth peel right off by your finger, got the new timing belt on and the motor back to tdc, started right up with alot of chatter, not a rod nock but definitly something wrong, getting the compression tester today.

pistons are clean - but the head looks good too, got a whole new motor dropped in, looking to build a lsvtec now with my old block, any body looking for a head?lol

Back