No spark?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kevinbout

Hey i have driving home last night and i was driving about 40km/h (in 3rd) so i shifted into 2nd and as soon as my car did that it started losing power and stoped runing. It was VERY wet and slushy out. I went back this morning and i don't have a spark. I had just changed the distributer cap/ oil change. and fuel filter yesterday and drove about 7 kms to work the car sat for about 5 hours and then i drove for about 30 minutes in the wet slushy conditions. parked the car for an hour and started to drive home. started driving for about 5 minutes and then this happend.

Any idea what the problem may be? Thanks

would the alternator cause it to have no spark if you bump started the car?

There has got to be more to it then just being wet. Everything in the engine bay is dry now.

Could it be the coil in the distributor?

You're doubting people who know are helping you, granted your car isn't in front of us but we're telling you what your possible scenarios are given the symptoms you told us.

It could very well be your coil, I just had to replace mine. Here is a good link for things to try out. Also if you cranked the engine over for any reason with the plug wires not hooked up it could have fried your coil. Some people do this to get at the screw that holds the rotor on without having the engine start. Starting Problems

I'm going to do the tests on the dist. today and possibly buy a new one.

I have seen them die more then a few times. Everytime there was no sputtering, they go bad and bam the car wont start.

Back