No Start after auto to manual swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordian

94 accord ex 4dr
*It still has the automatic ECU in it. (I wasn't sure if it would work or not) I just want to make sure it's because I have an auto ECU in there and not because I messed something up. When I turn the key to "on" and wait, it does what a car normally does but then the D4 light on the dash just flashes.

Last edited:
i would think its most likely because you have the auto ECU in there...but you can convert that auto ECU into a manual by removing the stuff in the ECU for the auto tranny...i cannot remember exactly how or what to remove...but its possible to do...good luck with it...

SO, I put in a spare DX 5spd ecu I had and I push started the car. It can't start with the key and I don't know why. any ideas? After I got it running, it ran fine but it was wicked slow and as soon as you hit 4,000 rpm almost all power totally dropped off(all to be expected from the wrong ECU for the car, My car is Vtec and ecu wasn't) But I still don't know wat the flashing D4 light means, and why, when i turn the key to start it, I get nothing, the starter doesn't even make a hint of engagement.

Solved the starting issue, bad ground. people doing auto to manual swap, be aware.

your "D4" is most likely flashing becuse the auto tranny isnt there anymore. the car probably thinks theres something wrong with it.

I've been driving it around on my original EX auto ECU and it runs ok except the power drops pff at higher rpm's The D4 light still flashes. The thing is, I'm not getting a Check Engine Light or any warning light of any sort (aside from flashing D4) should I be? I should have a EX 5spd ECU by the end of the week. Hopefully it gets it's power back.

conversion materiale

Hay there
I'm new here,
I have an automatic accord 94 ex, the tranny broke down and i wanted to take this opportunity to convert it to manual.
I see that accordian did it.
Could you please list all the materials you needs to make the conversion?
Thanks a bunch man

I liekly forgot some stuff, I'll add later.
  • 5spd Tranny(be sure it has the VSS and the reverse sensor)
  • Flywheel
  • Clutch
  • Clutch Master Cylinder and Resivor
  • Clutch Pedal Assembly
  • Clutch Lines
  • 5spd Brake Pedal
  • 5spd ECU for your car (if you have a 94 ex auto-get a 94 ex 5spd ECU)
  • 5spd Mount
  • 5spd Starter
  • 5spd Shifter Assembly (with cables, shift boot and knob too)
  • 5spd Intermediate Shaft
  • 5spd Driver's side axle
The best resource for this swap is here: It has the complete list, steps and even pictures. Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion - Accordingly Done any specific questions just e-mail, pm, aim me. later

Yeah, I did the swap all by my self and without any airtools or a lift. I used (2) jackstands and a cheap floor jack. It didn't take all that long. the right tools and a little money help the job go by alot faster:D

Back