no vtec due to good oil???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allgo

i have a stock b16 motor and running on synthetic oil but not vtec. i have read somewhere that if u have a stock motor or low compression motor, dont use synthetic oil. is this true??????????????? also, why is my speedometer flick up and down when i drive normal??

Originally posted by allgo@Oct 8 2003, 11:50 PM
also, why is my speedometer flick up and down when i drive normal??

check your speed sensor for that. it's located on your tranny, near where the passenger side axle goes into it.
mine did that before cuz i got some coolant on it while doing my swap. i took the plug out, dried it, held a blow dryer(on cool setting) on it for like 15 minutes and it fixed the problem.

also, do you have a check engine light on?
when you get up into the rpm range when your vtec is supposed to kick in, does the sound change slightly?
what car is this in(year/model/trim level) ?
what ecu are you using?

i've seen synthetic oil make vtec not work before...

just use Royal Purple. it's the bomb diggity.

Originally posted by uconn1150@Oct 9 2003, 03:49 PM
I think that if the VSS is bad/going bad it will affect VTEC

Correct, as you can't just rev it to 7000rpms in neutral and hit vtec, it needs the speed sensor too. As far as synthetic keeping it from engaging vtec, hmmm, I wouldn't think so, but some brands could I guess.

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 9 2003, 08:47 AM
i've seen synthetic oil make vtec not work before...

just use Royal Purple. it's the bomb diggity.

that's not true. the type of oil you use doesn't determine if the vtec is enabled or disabled. i was under the same impression for a little while but i started doing some homework on the sudject and discovered the following.

the biggest reason why vtec doesn't work and you don't get a cel is either because you don't enough oil in there, you're not getting enough oil pressure, or the screen inside your vtec solenoid is clogged up a bit.

in a situation where the car is running fine under 5500rpms but vtec doesn't work and no check engine light is coming on, that screen i'm talking about is more than likely clogged up. when that screen is clogged up it doesn't allow for enough oil/oil pressure for the vtec to kick in.

PS- Royal Purple is good and all but i will stand by my Castrol full Synthetic oil everytime.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Oct 9 2003, 09:01 AM-->
uconn1150
@Oct 9 2003, 03:49 PM
I think that if the VSS is bad/going bad it will affect VTEC

Correct, as you can't just rev it to 7000rpms in neutral and hit vtec, it needs the speed sensor too. As far as synthetic keeping it from engaging vtec, hmmm, I wouldn't think so, but some brands could I guess.

i didn't know the speed sensor affected vtec.
i think i might do some reading about this.

i have a 95 vx with a b16. i plug up the vtec wires so it should work but it doesnt. i cleaned the solenoid sceen so that is clean. all i am getting on cel is 10 and 41 which would not effect vtec. i am dropping a bit of oil though but not too much. i have oil on my vavle cover which i dont know where its coming from but i think i just need a new seal for the vavle cover. im revving up to only 6000 rpm right now due to the fact that i have no vtec. i have straight pipe with no cat so i hear a bit of air pushing through my stock muffler making a rattle sound that sounds like vtec. NEED ALOT OF HELP!!!!! THANKS FOR HELPING SO FAR.

does anyone have a manual handy that can tell him what those codes are for. i'm at work right now so i can't tell you.

also, when you're getting a cel your vtec won't work so get those fixed and it should start working again.
as far as the valve cover, definitely get a new seal for it and make sure you're tightening it down correctly.

10 = intake air temp....

are you sure your getting a 41? and not a 4 and a 1?

i see no 41 for a code in my manual...

it also says "if codes other than those listed above are indicated, count blinks again. if it is infact blinking unusual codes, substitute with a known good ecu and recheck. if the indicator goes away replace original ecu... the check engine warning light and ecu led may come on, indicating a system problem when in fact there is a poor intermitint electrical connection... first check all electrical connections, clean and repair if necissary. if check engine waringing light and led stays on, replace ecu"

also, i have never run into ANY problems w/ using synthetic oil...... ive used Syn Mobil 5/30 since the day i baught it... all my issues have been because of poor wireing...

actually 10 being temperature would affect vtec since there are 5 things that must be right for vtec to engage which are 1.normal operating temp 2. throttle position 3. wheels must be moving forward 4. rpms and 5. safe oil pressure levels.

Originally posted by ChrisSiR@Oct 10 2003, 04:40 PM

41 is heated o2 sensor.

Originally posted by ChrisSiR+Oct 10 2003, 07:28 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Oct 10 2003, 01:25 PM
ChrisSiR
@Oct 10 2003, 04:40 PM

41 is heated o2 sensor.

i guess i should have asked what motor, i show no 41 for a b16a Sir1

im assuming this is OBD2 then ::shrug2::

1994 Helms Del Sol, B16A3, Page 11-44 code 41, heated oxygen senor (HO2S) heater.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Oct 10 2003, 01:31 PM-->
Originally posted by ChrisSiR@Oct 10 2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Oct 10 2003, 01:25 PM
ChrisSiR
@Oct 10 2003, 04:40 PM

41 is heated o2 sensor.

i guess i should have asked what motor, i show no 41 for a b16a Sir1

im assuming this is OBD2 then ::shrug2::

1994 Helms Del Sol, B16A3, Page 11-44 code 41, heated oxygen senor (HO2S) heater.

my aplogy's, i just saw b16.... the only manual i have is for the obd0 b16 :spin:

thanks for all the replies. so vtec is effected by 10 and 41??? i have two ecu, p28 and p30 and getting same codes for both now. wi th the p28 i can rev motor up but with p30, i can only rev up to about 3500 rpm and then it all cut fuel.

no vtec due to 10 and 41????? or is it due to oil on my vavle cover????

thanks all of u guys for helping

Back