Noise sound while in gears

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

N/A b18c1

Mysterious
Ok, i have this noise i really started to hate...sounds fine when i rev in neutral, gears goes in fine all round....it starts making noise when im in gear...i think its from the tranny but not exactly sure...but sounds like its from there...

Advise given was: wheel bearing, mounting too tight, axles, shifter....These arent it...

Tranny is cable for people who will ask and dumb enough to ask..!!

Model: Honda CRX SI
Engine: D16a6
MODS: Everything stock and STRONG
Miles: 189,601

Tire rotation is done every 6 months, oil is changed every 3000 miles, new timing belt at 139k miles, new plugs, new a/c condensor, new a/c lines...
PLEASE HELP!!!!

tranny fluid, dont know exactly for the fact i bought this car stock from a 37 year old guy who works for U.S bank....Im thinking it can be that also...NO GRINDS...second gear started to grind a little this morning other than that it stopped...im going to do and fluid change for my own safety...Can you help me with the fluid....is it just regular honda Manual Transmission Fluid?

thanks for the fluid type help, but i really want to know what this noise really is though.....goes kinda like this....thurnanananananaa...for every gear i go into...except when i shift and in neutral.....noise starts when gear is in....and on acceleration and deceleration....

Sounds like old/low/improper fluid.

Swap it and let us know if its still happening. If that doesn't fix it, at least you know you don't have several year old fluid in your trans.

And if it looks new, change it anyway. Old trans fluid usually looks fresh as the day it was put in.

I really like the Synchromesh fluid from GM. As odd as it seems, when I was running a B16's tranny with 10w-30 I would get some minor grinds in second on high rpm, heavy shifts and then switch to Synchromesh and never had another grind out of it even with a whole season out at the track. Coincidence? Most likely not.

I'll try the change in fluid and see what happens afterwards....I'll get back at you guys.... THANKS

I really like the Synchromesh fluid from GM. As odd as it seems, when I was running a B16's tranny with 10w-30 I would get some minor grinds in second on high rpm, heavy shifts and then switch to Synchromesh and never had another grind out of it even with a whole season out at the track. Coincidence? Most likely not.

same here.. i was running GM Synchomesh and the switched to Honda MTF and the tranny doesnt feel as smooth.. time to switch back .. its just so damn expensive

Off topic ---

How does royal purple compare to GM Synchmesh ?? I am running Honda MTF and I get some grinds on hard shifts at high RPM.

Someone told me that diesel fuel was the best way to go ? ? ? ? ?

So you guys are suggesting GM Synchromesh is best? GM...?? (General Motor) if GM stands for it....

Honda MTF and General Motors Syncromesh are probably the two best fluids for your tranny. if youre getting grinds with honda mtf, try syncromesh.

noise

well heres how it gos.. i had the same problem... it will keep making that noise for a while and then when you go to slam a gear 1 day your ganna have gears and syncs all over the road lol and half your trans case will be gone.. GET A TRANS FAST

Don't forget that the GM Synchromesh and the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified are two different products. If you go with the GM stuff, make sure you ask for the correct product. They also have GM Friction Modifier. It's an additive that you add to what ever tranny fluid you decide to use. I heard that if you use GM Synchromesh with the GM Friction Modifier, it DOES NOT become equivalent to the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified stuff.

Honda MTF actually worked out better in my tranny than Synchromesh did but everyone's car is different so I hope it works out for you.

well heres how it gos.. i had the same problem... it will keep making that noise for a while and then when you go to slam a gear 1 day your ganna have gears and syncs all over the road lol and half your trans case will be gone.. GET A TRANS FAST

Are you freaken serious!! im trying to avoid that darn problem....whats causing it to do that? is it just cable that this happens to? Or hydro also? this is my first time driving a cable trans. and its much more of a pain then hydro...TELL ME MORE!

whoever has this same problem! ill appreciate the helping answers i get, everything will be jot down from now on....

Back