1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-Vtec, to Vtec?

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by ballinhatch, Aug 23, 2003.

1. ballinhatch

ballinhatch Junior Member

I have a 91 hatch with a ZC in it as of right now. In a few months I am planning to swap in a D16Z6. I have a Skunk2 computer right now on the ZC and i love the way it tunes. I was wondering (since the Z6 is Vtec) would this computer swap over okay or do i need a new computer. Does the Vtec affect the comp. in any way?

2. HardLowrdRanger

HardLowrdRanger Member

You need to have different timing and fuel curves while in vtec... A non-vtec computer can't do that unless it's reprogrammed to. With the chip you have now it will stay in it's one set of maps the whole time. So if it runs stoich when you're not in vtec, it'll run leaner when vtec is activated... and timing will be off...

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

yeah, just get a p28 with the obd0->1 conversion harness.

4. HardLowrdRanger

HardLowrdRanger Member

Ya you can find those obd0>obd1 harnesses for pretty cheap since they're having price wars on eBay... The other option is finding an obd0 pw0 or pr3 to run it for you... Those will be slightly cheaper than the p28 with conversion harness...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted