noob ecu questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
ok so i bought a EG hatch that already had a b18c1 swap and i know very little about the cars history. the price was a real steal so i picked it up regardless. i would assume the ecu is chipped or modified somehow because vtec doesnt engage until 5500.

how do i determine what ecu i have?

how do i know if its chipped and what kind of program it is?

and then also wondering how do i determine if my engine is usdm or jdm... and if its obd1 or obd2, etc.

You need to look at the white sticker on the side of the ECU, which is located in the passenger kick panel. It will have something like XXXX-NNN-YYY. NNN-YYY is what your interested in.

Open the cover of the ecu (for phillips screws), and take a picture of it and post it up here. Because it's way to hard for me to explain the location of the chip and it varies on the ecu.

Look at your engine code. It's on the block, to the left of the header, right of the transmission. Stamped. If it has a number after the C, then it's a USDM (ie, B18C1 is USDM). If it's B18C, it's JDM.

Figure out what ecu you've got, then you'll know the OBD spec you have.

Execute some noob searches and u coulda found your answers!

Back