Noob:Ideling problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hi folks, just pickup a 97 civic dx and having issue with ideling. the idel goes up and down up to 2k. I found out that the second o2 sensor wires were messed up, so I picked up a fresh one for $60 buck. the ideling seems to go away after a test drive and the ideling issue return. I took the throttle body apart, I cleaned the TPS sensor, air idel control valve, and the throttle body. Now the car would not iddle up and down like before, instead, it idles really high at 2k. And when I unpluged the TPS sensor plug, the idel drop down to just above 1k, however, when first step on the gas pedal, the car hesitat and bow down unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. And when RPM pass 2k, the car runs smooth, however, I noticed a high consumption of fuel compared to when the idel goes up and down.(currently I am running the car with the TPS sensor unpluged, would this hurt/safe for the car? So, with this, I am assuming that the problem is the TPS sensor, what do you guys think?

On a side question, if I pick up a d16y8 soch vtec intake manifold, would it bolt directly into my d16y7 block?I do this not for power but for look and availability of part. And do I have to extend the wire pulg for all the sensors associat with the D16y8 intake manifold? Thanks

Check your MAP sensor, It's behind the ThrottleBody. They then to catch water and humidity then they screw up on you. Honda made a buletin on them.

Ref. Number : 04-004, Date of issue : August 10, 2004

Symptom

In cold weather, the engine idles roughly after a cold start. The MIL may also come on with DTC P0107 (MAP Sensor circuit low voltage) or DTC P0108 (MAP sensor circuit high voltage) set.

Probable Cause

Moisture freezes inside the MAP Sensor.

Corrective Action

Replace the MAP sensor. For Japan-built civics, also replace the intake manifold.

Here's the part number

MAP sensor set

P/N 04161-P2E-305, H/C 6688493

Warranty Claim Information

OP# 122128
Replace MAP sensor and install adapter harness

quick question, is the map sensor suppose to face down or up on a 97 civic dx. mine is facing up and I saw throttle body for sale for a 99 1.6l civic, the map sensor is facing down. Is my map sensor installed incorrectly? thanks

Thats the fix, you should get a ''Bracket'' that will make the map sensor face ''down'' so water will not get inside of it (hence why now it might be screwed up).

Do you have access to an OBD-2 Scanner? You might want to scan those codes before changing everything.

Plug the obd2 scanner in, and run your engine, check if code P0107 or P0108 comes out, just in case, if it does, then your map is dead and will cause your gas/milage to go down the drain and might even cause your idle problem.

so the map senso is suppose to be install facing downward? as of right now, the map sensor is install facing upward, can I just turn it around or there is only one way that this sensor go in? as for scanning for code, since there is no engine check light on, will there be any code showing?Maybe I can stop by autozone to see if they willing to check it without engine check light on.

If you have no MIL light on, your map sensor might still work correctly.

No the sensor only goes one way in, if you go to a Dealership they will give you a ''Bracket'' and a new MAP sensor thats makes it possible to make it face downward.

If you have no codes, do you have access to a Multimeter?

If you do, I will send you the procedures to verify your MAP sensor and confirm that it is the actual problem.

Otherwise, get your car scanned, the problem might be intermittent or it might be something else.

Good Luck

This is what you need to check for your MAP. Never mind the scan tools and the PCM connector. Just check that your 5 volt signal is actually there and that you do not have an open wire, or loose connection.

MAPSENSOR.jpg

thanks folks, problem solved with the purchase of a used throttle body with all sensors intact. Really dont know wheather its the map sensor or the air intake controller but im pretty sure its one of them just too lazzy to find out after trial and failure. At first, I replaced my map sensor with the one I purchased and it didnt solve the ideling problem, then I installed the purchased throttle body with its own map sensor and the issue is still there. I got frustrated and gave up and drove it to work, the next day, I borrowed it to my brother for a trip to the store and he hang me the key and I went to work, as I stop at the light it was all quiet, infact it was too quiet and I realized that the annoying ideling problem was gone. So I figured that the ecu or system needs time to reset itself or to realized that there is a new map sensor(new used throttle body with sensors) and reset itself to read properly. So the annoying ideling problem is gone for good. thanks for all of your helps.

Yes, you indeed had to ''reset'' the ECU to clear the code, as long as the code is there, the engine will run in LIMP mode and will try to compensate the lack of data from one sensor with all the others around it.
To reset your ECU, I believe you remove the Hazard Fuse for 10-15 secs.

I'm glad its fixed.

Back