Noob please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lawrence13

Ok so I'm looking at a 1993 lude with a h22 that needs rebuilt but I heard that you can only run premium in then and they only get around 20 to 25 mpg. I was also told that h22s and f22s are all you could swap around in them is this true?

most dohc hondas only want higher octane fuel. they run beter. you CAN use lower grade fuel, but ou'll lose power, risk detonation, and end up with lessor fuel economy anyway, which ends up evening out the price premium of the higher grade fuel.

you CAN put a b-series in there, there are mount kits and such, but it's basically going backwards.

What exactly is broken on the current engine?

You should be able to see 30 mpg out of it in the highway. keep in mind that the ludes are significantly heavier than civics, with bigger motors, so you're not going to get the higher mileage that the civcs get with wimpy d15's and lighter weight.

Do they even make B-series swap mounts for 92+ Preludes? Hasport and Innovative don't. I'm not sure that anybody does.

There'd really be no point to it. Even the most powerful B-series engines don't make as much torque as a base Prelude F-series.

Like B said, the Prelude is a bigger, heavier car. It needs more torque and power to get it moving. If you were to swap a B-series, it would be slow as a turd. If you're looking at a manual transmission car, then just drive it conservatively and you should get decent mileage...

It's a h22 in it now I'm looking for a cheap Honda for a project and all the civics are high and I found this lude cheap I'm gonna be straight up honest I know NOTHING about Hondas but I'm in automotive school and wanna learn

you need to find out whats wrong with it. if it cracked a sleeve, the motor is toast. if its blowing oil, you can get some new rings, etc.

if the seller doesn't know, or is lying, you may be in over your head-- or at least get ripped off when you end up dumping 5 grand into it to get it running again.

If you want to learn, I suggest buying something that works first, and take it apart, and put it back if it doesn't work then, you know YOU did something wrong.

It comes with a rebuilt one 0 miles I read it wrong but I'm actually looking at several care like a 96 civic with a d16y7 non Vtec unit

The prelude is the Red headed step child of honda. It was built to serve as the platform for the S2000. It has a 4x114 bolt pattern vs the Civic of 4x100... its got an H series motor which weights a bit more than the rest. It came factory with Power windows and ABS + Disk breaks front rear. Over all they r a very very nice car, the 4th gens... I would buy it if its a decent price, H22 can be Quick N/A cars or you can turbo them with a good tune or a built one

Are you wanting something with more power or better gas mileage? Preludes are heavier and geared more towards stock performance with a near 200hp 4cyl in vtec models, 4 wheel disc brakes, wider more agressive stance with a lower body, reinforced chassis and considerably lower mpg compared to most other hondas as with the civic has a lighter frame, lighter less bulky suspension, higer ride height, no rear sway bar, and a hell of a lot less torquey motor. But if its a 5speed you will get close to 40mpg if you mantain it right with premium fuel regular filter changes and routine additives however you will be making about 106hp/98ftlb with the d16y7 and 198hp/160ftlb (i believe) in a car about 400 pounds or so less (give or take a few hundred depending on # of doors) not to mention that if your not a mechanic it takes a lot more money to mantain a well running dohc vtec performance motors as opposed to single cam low displacement gas sippers as it takes about an hour longer just to do the timing belt not to mention when its time for a head gasket. So basically what im getting at is if they are in exact same mechanical condition both seem like good buys but its up to you if you want hp or gas mileage. Just dont be like the guy up the road from me who had to have a 2010 corvette vr1 but we had to rebuild the head, replace the oil pump and flush the oil ports because mr big baller couldnt afford 93 octane and synthetic oil and at 63k looked like my old hatch beater with 400k original miles smokin so bad you cant tell if the smokes blue or white anymore

Back