noob question: how do i remove my steering wheel??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
ok, well i'm changing my interior to black from blue.. i need to change out my steering wheel now because i found someone to buy my blue one.. not really sure how its done on a 94 civic, i've removed one from a CRX, but that doesnt have an airbag.. any help appreciated
[/noobness]

pull really really hard.

i think there are screws on the back of the airbag. then you have a couple more on the front side of the steering wheel. not 100% though.

Cut the wires to the air bag. Connect the two wires to each side of the battery terminals. Giggle. Replace windshield if necessary. Then hack the rest off with a sawzall. Giggle some more. Ship it to your buyer. laugh insanely.

Or, you could just do this: Civic Steering Wheel Swap

I like my method better, though.

yea, i think i'll pass on your idea.. i dont need to cut wires or solder if i'm replacing with an OEM unit do i

You asked how to get it off, lol. Stop reading after the 3rd paragraph.

You arent doing a full on whateverthehell swap that guy is doing, but the first three steps outline the removal of the wheel.

Start by removing the caps on either side of the steering wheel. Remove the torx screws found under the caps.

With the screws out, the airbag is ready to be removed.
After you remove the airbag, remove the 19mm bolt in the middle.

Removing the wheel is as easy as wiggling it until it pops off.

Help, trying to put on my new wheel but the old one won't come off, every forum, every thread about removing the stock wheel just says wiggle it and it should come off but mine won't budge...however all post I think were relevant to the 92-95 civics. Is there anything particular to the EM1's? I got this far

DSC01996.jpg

DSC01997.jpg

Yea everything is, been tugging to the point where the entire car is rocking, does it matter if the wheel is locked?

hers wasnt locked when i took it off earlier.. i had the whole thing done in 20 min.. rather simple

Yea, I had everything disassembled in 10 then hit his bump, let me go insert the key to unlock it see if that makes a difference

Aight, it's off, had adjusted the tilt alway the way up so I could see underneath when I was disconnecting the airbag. Soon as I put it back down, the wheel popped off in my hands

Back