1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOOB QUESTION!!!! please healp

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by jrc weez00, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jrc weez00

jrc weez00 New Member

i have a b18a1 turbod and its got a blown head gasket. im going to change the head gasket tonight and put in arp head studs and all that good stuff while its off but ive never taken a head off a honda motor. i was told i dont have to the the intake manifold off but can someone give me a quick brief step by step on taking my head off and maybe torque specs? please and also since its turbo should i put a thicker metal head gasket on to lower compression? thanks

2. humblegumbo

humblegumbo 1595cc's of Mad Fury

Seriously, go buy a Chilton or Haynes manual for this sort of thing. Either one will give you all the information you are looking for, and probably more. At the very least, it's a great bathroom read.

If you've got the cash flow for the gaskets and studs, you should have the 20 bones for a manual.

Someone else will have to help you w/ turbo. IDKS about boost, but I don't think that a thicker gasket will impact compression very much...unless it's stupidly thicker...

3. boofthese

boofthese New Member

Yes when you go with a thicker headgasket you lower the compression, and visa versa with a thinner gasket

4. jrc weez00

jrc weez00 New Member

i knew that but like i mean should i get one? or its not neccassary and a buddy of mine came and helped me do it the heads ready to come off im replacing everything while i got it out. valve seals, gaskets orings, the works but im worried about getting it back together in time haha

5. delsolcharlie

delsolcharlie New Member

did he say there is no reason to get a head gasket????
    im guessing he bought the car with the B18 and turboed all ready
    just start unpluggin stuff..no you dont have to take your intake off..i dont when i change my head gasket..youll learn as you go..and if you fuck up..i bet you wont do it again!

6. hondasniper

hondasniper Engine Builder

I'll pm you a website to go to if you don't want to buy a freakin manual. It's free. No dumbass spam shit either. SO THERE WILL BE NO EXCUSES TO NOT USE A FREAKIN MANUAL!!! And for the ARP head studs, for some cars (mainly preludes, but i haven't replaced a headgasket for a b18 IN an Integra yet), but you might get to the point where the intake won't clear the top/back part of the engine bay w/o the risk of damaging the TPS since you have to come straight down with it. There might not be a problem since the motor isn't tilted like an H22 or H23. BTW, WHAT'S UP BLANCO!!! <<<<(That guy knows what he's talking about)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted