noob vafc / h22 swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Eskie

Alright I got a noob question about the apex-i VAFC vtec controller.

Heres the deal, I am swapping the almighty H22A into my 92 Accord :lol: ..

So my question is, could I use the stock ECU thats already in the accord and use the apex-i vtec controller to control the vtec instead of buying a p13 prelude ECU?

... or would it just be better to buy a p13 ..

P13 or a properly chipped/programmed ECU. The P13 also controls a secondary butterfly I believe. That opens at 4500, then VTEC kicks at 5000. Don't quote me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge that's how it works.

Basically, the Accord ECU wouldn't give you your best power. You can however, run the Accord ECU for a while during your search. The car will run fine, but you won't have shit for big power(no VTEC, etc.) I would suggest replacing the ECU soon, as your knock sensor wouldn't be doing it's job either.

My 2 cents

yeah I am just gonna go with a p13, I just was unsure if the only difference between the p13 and the accord ecu was that the p13 being already wired for VTEC ...

It's not that the P13 is "wired" for VTEC, it actually controls the functionality of VTEC. A non-VTEC ECU with a VAFC won't be able to actuate VTEC. A VAFC isn't what controls that, it's the ECU. And yeah, as tab said, that ECU won't activate the IAB, and will only rev to 6500 rpm. There's still 1300 or more rpm ABOVE that where you're in heaven. :D

hey

yeah i think youre better off with the P13. why?.... because i swaped a H22A1
into my honda civic... gotta tell you its not easy swapping a H22 in a civic... i was using an american version for the ECU... and my car wasnt functioning right.... and finally i changed the ECU to a japanese version.... and now it runs just fine. so not having the right ECU isnt good.... guess it depends on your engine too

yeah i think youre better off with the P13. why?.... because i swaped a H22A1
into my honda civic... gotta tell you its not easy swapping a H22 in a civic... i was using an american version for the ECU... and my car wasnt functioning right.... and finally i changed the ECU to a japanese version.... and now it runs just fine. so not having the right ECU isnt good.... guess it depends on your engine too
Again, please watch post dates before you reply to them.
This post is ALSO from 2003. ^_^

Back