NOOB w/ stupid questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pauls81sc

HI All,

Noob here.
Love this site. The info I've found has been second-to-none.

Here's what I'm up to: Currently acquiring parts to swap a B18A, obd0 from 90-91 Integra into my 89 CRX Si. I've found a 1990 teg as a donor car (complete car only $650). Only problem is that it's an automatic.

Am I right that the tranny from my CRX will not fit on the b18? :unsure:

And, are there any other issues I need to consider with converting the b18 from automatic to manual? :blink:

Sorry for the stupid questions. Did I mention how great this site is? :worthy:

d series trans (yours) will not bolt to a b series block

you will need to consider the auto ecu you get with the teg...

other than that you will need a manual flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and trans...
and not sure about your axle situation...

i have found tegs with auto trans for as low as 500
and tegs with manual trans but blown motors for 500...
just keep in mind that parts add up quick unless you get it all complete

I would try to find another car. You're going to spend $500 on this car that is an automatic. then another $250 on a good/decent transmission. Just look for a different donar car.

good luck...

Thanks for the replies.

Alright, so I was right that the CRX tranny will not work. (Issue closed.)

But, I'm still waffling on this teg.
If I buy a long block alone from a salvage yard it'll be $450.
I was assuming there were parts on this teg with the automatic tranny that I could use for the swap. But now that you mention it, axles are a question, and it probably doesnt have the shift linkage I will need either. I was going to need a tranny and ecu if I bought the long block anyway, but the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate are adders.

If I can find a donor car that got a manual tranny, like Brian suggests, that's a no brainer. But just in case I can't, can anyone else think of differences between a block with auto vs. a block with manual. (I've heard something about cams being different).

Thanks again,
Paul

The blocks are the same, I am not sure about the cams, i don't think there is a difference, but if there is its probably minimal, and completely interchangable, someone else can tell you for sure

Originally posted by pauls81sc@Aug 11 2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Alright, so I was right that the CRX tranny will not work.  (Issue closed.)

But, I'm still waffling on this teg.
If I buy a long block alone from a salvage yard it'll be $450.
I was assuming there were parts on this teg with the automatic tranny that I could use for the swap.  But now that you mention it, axles are a question, and it probably doesnt have the shift linkage I will need either.  I was going to need a tranny and ecu if I bought the long block anyway, but the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate are adders.

If I can find a donor car that got a manual tranny, like Brian suggests, that's a no brainer.  But just in case I can't, can anyone else think of differences between a block with auto vs. a block with manual.  (I've heard something about cams being different).

Thanks again,
Paul
[post=375563]Quoted post[/post]​

Alright man, here we go.

You can use everything from the Auto Teg... except AXLES, HALF SHAFT, TRANS & FLEX-PLATE...

The shift linkage - Hasport makes a pair, buy those... $150 or so
The mounts - use hasport as well - $350 or so
use any B series CABLE tranny (90-93 INTEGRA ONLY)
Use your stock clutch cable
take the throttle cable from the Integra (its shorter and makes installing a b series into the civic look much better)

The differences between auto Integra's and manual integra's are this:
ECU (different fuel cut off), Cams (less aggressive than Manual Cams) and Intake Manifold (less Vacuum leads) thats about it.

You will need these parts after you find a manual transmission

Manual Half Shafts and Axles (I have a set of 91 Integra axles and mid shaft for sale - manual axles $25 + shipping each good condition, manual halfshaft $45 + shipping)
Manual ECU (I have a 91 Integra ECU for sale as well - $35 shipped)
Flywheel (I have a stock one that needs resurfaced - $45 shipped)
Clutch Kit
Hasport (or other modified) Shift Linkage and Stabilizer + bushings.
clutch cable or the Integra's

And if you want to run manual cams to gain a tad more power search for 92-01 Cams. (I have a set of 96 LS cams w/35K miles on them for sale - $50 shipped w/new cam seals. I was going to use them, I then bought Colt Stage 1 Cams [regrinds], and now I'm switching to 98 LS cams, wasnt happy with Colts.)

Dont forget to take the rear suspension off as well as you can use the rear suspension on your Civic. It has Disc brakes and a Sway Bar in the rear. Most DX Civic's/CRX's do not. Anyway take the rear trailing arm assemblies, the e-brake cables, booster/master cylinder and the proportioning. or you can sell it for at least $200.

If you have any quesitons please feel free to PM me on here or on AIM @ integra11to1. Let me know if you need/want any of these parts, I need to get rid of them.

Brian.

Originally posted by pauls81sc@Aug 11 2004, 02:21 PM
HI All,

Noob here.
Love this site. The info I've found has been second-to-none.

Here's what I'm up to: Currently acquiring parts to swap a B18A, obd0 from 90-91 Integra into my 89 CRX Si. I've found a 1990 teg as a donor car (complete car only $650). Only problem is that it's an automatic.

Am I right that the tranny from my CRX will not fit on the b18? :unsure:

And, are there any other issues I need to consider with converting the b18 from automatic to manual? :blink:

Sorry for the stupid questions. Did I mention how great this site is? :worthy:
[post=375416]Quoted post[/post]​

hey is this the paul that was going to buy my b18 if it is this is brett i thought you were going to pick up my axles and motor for 500 let me know

UPDATE: Found a long block from a local salvage yard for $300. Came from a 90 Integra w/ auto tranny.

Brett....yeah man, that was me. Sorry it didnt happen.

Brian, thanks a ton for putting all that info down. You da man! Since I now have a long block, the "whole car" thing is out and I'll just have to get parts from other sources. But your list will prove invaluable as this thing progresses. Many thanks.

So, getting back to the project...I will need an ECU, expected this, not a big deal....going to put performance cams in, so auto cams are not a big deal....but what is this about vaccuum leads? Will I need to replace the intake manifold? (Keep in mind this is going to have to pass CA smog some day.)

Paul

Alright...

Intake Manifold... put a thread up on here stating you are looking for a MANUAL INTAKE MANIFOLD for this engine. Look for one that is bare cuase it'll save you money. Shouldnt run more than $50 (depending on what comes with the manifold) You then can swap the sensors from teh AT Mani over...

Cams - I would suggest running osme new Integra LS cams... dont go to far with the Perf. cams cuase you dont know the mileage on the engine let alone how it was taken care of. 98 or newer LS cams shouldnt cost more than $50-$75 (plus shipping or shipped)

ECU - as stated before I have one, if you want it. Its from a 91 Integra LS. I don't remember how much I said.

Something I forgot to mention... you can swap the header out for a newer integra one and gain some power, not much but some. Stay away from bargain brands... check AN-R.com hella expensive but hella bad ass and worth every penny.

Im glad someone finds me useful. My AIM s/N is integra11to1 if you wanted to contact me that way.

You need this bracket (BRACKET ONLY mount will not work) to put a LS into your Civic/CRX...

gallery_8329_68_1092689938.jpg

what mounts are you planning on using?

Brian,
Whoa, slow down man, you're going too many different directions at once. :eek:

ECU: Won't need for some time. Going to rebuild engine first. When the time comes I'll email you to see if you still have it.

CAMS: Ditto, going to rebuild so not worried about current condition. Although, it did have an auto tranny on it which implies it wasn't abused too badly. Of course no guarantees though.

HEADER: Appreciate the tip, as long as it passes CA smog (DOT stamped). Will cross that bridge later.

MOUNTS: Planning to use HASport.

INTAKE: Let's dig in here a bit. I do need the manual tranny one, understand that. Swapping sensors? The new one should come complete. Will any of this really be necessary?

Originally posted by pauls81sc@Aug 16 2004, 04:55 PM
Brian,
Whoa, slow down man, you're going too many different directions at once. :eek:

ECU: Won't need for some time. Going to rebuild engine first. When the time comes I'll email you to see if you still have it.

CAMS: Ditto, going to rebuild so not worried about current condition. Although, it did have an auto tranny on it which implies it wasn't abused too badly. Of course no guarantees though.

HEADER: Appreciate the tip, as long as it passes CA smog (DOT stamped). Will cross that bridge later.

MOUNTS: Planning to use HASport.

INTAKE: Let's dig in here a bit. I do need the manual tranny one, understand that. Swapping sensors? The new one should come complete. Will any of this really be necessary?
[post=377598]Quoted post[/post]​

I tend to get excited.

ECU - BUY NOW

CAMS - its your choice

HEADER - I recomend AN-R

MOUNTS - HASport :worthy:

INTAKE - you can located a complete Manual LS IM, but someitmes its easier to located a bare on rather than a complete one. Good Luck...

Back