1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob with cylinder head questions

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by JonathanDB, Sep 27, 2011.

1. JonathanDB

JonathanDB New Member

I recently had a head gasket blow on my '98 civic EX and decided to do all the work myself and save $1200 in labor costs at the auto shop. I am not very experienced with cars, but I know how engines work and have done a little work on my dirtbike and such.

I had a friend help me, and with the help of the service manual and Andrew's awesome writeup here: http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/how-change-head-gasket-lots-pics-71528/. I was able to get the head off, get it resurfaced at a machine shop (very warped) and clean everything up.

My car is now all torn apart in my shop and I have the gaskets, and am just waiting on an exhaust manifold to arrive (found it was super cracked) before I put it back together. I have two questions:

A. I am worried that the machine shop might have moved the cam and therefore my timing would be off. How do I get make sure the timing is right?

and B. I'm unsure about bolting my head back on. Are my headbolts fine the way they are? I would really not rather spend another $50 on new head bolts. Also, how do I clean my bolt holes out in case coolant or oil spilled in when I removed the head?

I would really appreciate any and all help! And again, thanks to Andrew for his writeup. That writeup is how I found this site and why I joined.

2. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

get your engine TOP DEAD CENTER ! Put the cam in TOP DEAD CENTER ! look up torque specifications, put the head studs in , and torque them, then re-assemble, make sure to clean all your surfaces before assembly, done, have fun, its like a 4 hour job in all reality

3. JonathanDB

JonathanDB New Member

Okay, thanks a ton! My engine's already in TDC, so I just have to make sure the cam is. I assumed it was as simple as that, but didnt want to mess anything up. lol

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

I personally, would spend the money and get new head bolts. There is a LOT of torque on head bolts, spend the money and get new ones.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted