1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob

Discussion in 'Prelude' started by BenS, Oct 30, 2007.

1. BenS

BenS Lude NOOB

B20a5 Questions

i jsut bought my second lude i love them but anyways its a b20a5 missing the top end ( head intak mani exhaust mani) of the motor and front seats no rust all glass is good, 125 paid cash, so anyway i was wondering can i slam a b18 or a b16 head on there i figure it would boost compression,:confused: thats about all that im wondering right now thanxz for the help willl post pics as im working on it

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. BenS

BenS Lude NOOB

oh and i keep gettin told that tis a SOHC and not a DOHC can some one tell me the truth
    please thxz

3. norcalgsr

norcalgsr Honda Master Technician

I wouldn't bother trying to swap the heads on that engine.. I've been researching it for a long time since I have same engine in my Si, and I've come to the conclusion that it may be possible but definitely not worth the time/money/effort. The B20a5 is the one B series engine that's not really compatible with the rest in most cases.

You could put the head from a B21 on it, but I don't know if it will make any more power or not. They are both DOHC also.

4. BenS

BenS Lude NOOB

well the whole reason why i was say b18 or 16 was cuz up at pick and pull theres a shit ton and they are somewhat cheap

5. norcalgsr

It doesn't just bolt on easily like the rest of the B series engines, that's my point. You have to do some extensive modifications to your block including relocating 3 or 4 of the head bolts just to make it fit properly onto the block. The B20A from the Prelude isn't really the same at all as the rest of the B series engines even though it seems like it would be from the engine code.

6. BenS

BenS Lude NOOB

Crap, lol and thxz for the help so far i will have more questions to come
    so if i cant find a head for it soon would it just be easyer to put a different b series in it??

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  7. norcalgsr

B16 Conversion on B20a5 Block *Ludespeed-writeup* - Preludepower.com that's a good read for information about swapping a B series VTEC head.. short story is the guy made it work but doesn't recommend doing it.

If you're going to change out the engine you're pretty much limited to a replacement B20a5 or the B20A from Japan. The B21 also fits, but I wouldn't recommend using that one unless you're going to get a rebuilt one since they had problems with piston ring wear & smoking. There was a group buy on preludepower.com for custom H22 engine mounts, but if you go that route you're talking big money since you need the custom mounts & custom axles plus the H22a changeover. But a lot of people have done the swap on that site and it makes a LOT more power. H22 Vtec SWAP conversion WRITE uP; An Introduction. Long. - Preludepower.com

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted