Noobie cyclist, want to join the club

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 19 2005, 04:41 PM
damn, thats a nice deal. thats easily a 2000 bike new...
just the campy record component group is 1300-1500..
http://www.cbike.com/groups2.htm

well, they are on to 10-spd cassettes now, so call it 1200-1400...

add the frame, fork, wheels, seat, etc... and you got your self a bargain for any price. shit, if that sees 600 its still a good deal
[post=501477]Quoted post[/post]​

A new Campy record groupo is $1800, and about $2300 with carbon cranks if not more. I am not sure what the public price on that stuff is. If you can score that bike for in your budget, you got hooked up. I got my Pinerello on Ebay for 800 with a full Campy Record 10 speed groupo on it. It is clean as phuck too. Ebay used to be much better for bikes, as with cars, but now everyone over bids everything. Best of luck to you, I think you are on the right track looking at a steel frame for your first bike.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@May 19 2005, 08:57 PM
Best of luck to you, I think you are on the right track looking at a steel frame for your first bike.
[post=501481]Quoted post[/post]​

So you think that a steel frame is the way to go for a first bike? Why not aluminum? Is it because aluminum rides too harsh? (actually, that bike that I linked is Scandium. Its for sure going to go for over 1200+)

I bought a new Mtn. Bike a few weeks back, haven't had time to take pics of it yet. I'll start a new thread when I can.

Originally posted by Oscar Mayer+May 18 2005, 06:18 AM-->
civicious
@May 18 2005, 05:12 AM
Form Equals Function: Sportbikes are Not Beginner Bikes

It is interesting to point out that only one manufacturer, Suzuki, explicitly states in their promotional material that their GSX-R family of sportbikes are intended for experienced riders. This also applies to several of their larger, more powerful machines (such as a GSX-1300R Hayabusa). If Suzuki issues such a warning for its top-flight sport machines, it is reasonable to say that the same warning would apply equally to similar machines from other manufacturers.

http://www.beginnerbikes.com/index.html
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

Last time I checked a Road Bike wasn't powered by anything other than legs and arms...

edited by me because I was sick of seeing a 4 page non relavent article

[post=500815]Quoted post[/post]​

Not fo me yo it's all in the hiz-house

Originally posted by Playa Marlon@May 20 2005, 03:05 PM

Not fo me yo it's all in the hiz-house
[post=501749]Quoted post[/post]​

So tempted to ban him for 9999999 days :ph34r:

Anyways, today I test drove some more bikes. Today, I test drove the Lemond Reno and a low end specialized. The specialized had mostly sora parts except for the rear derailer which was the Taraga. The rear shifted pretty good, but the front was very slopy. The Lemond Reno had much nicer parts (no POS Sora parts). Road real nice. Very solid at high speeds (went past one of those radar speed road signs and it flashed when I went past it going 26 :) ) Anyways, it was nice until I came to a hill and went to shift. Rear would shift fine, but the front would not shift anymore (It did when I left the shop) So I pull over and see what the hell was wrong. There was still tention in the cable at the derailer, and the shifter seemed to be working fine. Well half way between, the housing on the cable snapped open and when I shifted, it would just bend the housing. So I bring it back, and the sales guy was kinda stunned, saying that he had never seen that on a new bike. Anyways, I now know about what I want. I will be checking ebay and a bunch of online bike shops for the best deals on diffrent brands.

Originally posted by asmallsol+May 19 2005, 05:17 PM-->
MaaseyRacer
@May 19 2005, 08:57 PM
  Best of luck to you, I think you are on the right track looking at a steel frame for your first bike.
[post=501481]Quoted post[/post]​

So you think that a steel frame is the way to go for a first bike? Why not aluminum? Is it because aluminum rides too harsh? (actually, that bike that I linked is Scandium. Its for sure going to go for over 1200+)
[post=501482]Quoted post[/post]​

Scandium is a fancy way of saying steel. Basicly, I say riding a steel frame is a good way to learn as it is soft and easy on new riders who are not used to the beating riding a road bike can give you. Once you have learned how to ride a road bike (and there is a big learning curve especially if you have never drafted before or used clipless pedals), then you might want to consider upgranding to an aluminum frame, or aluminum carbon combo. Only go all carbon once you have figured out what you want, and are comfortable with your riding abilities. I think to easy you into the sport finding an old Pinarello, or colnago fram with STI brake lever shifters is probably going to be the best economical route.

Well I bought a bike off ebay.
Marin Arentna

Well its not as nice as the scandium bike above that I link (oh and Massey, I was doing research, scandium bikes are primarly alumnium and the scandium alloy causes the bike to be much stronger at the welds), no crazy vector 8 spoke wheels, Carbon fiber derailers cranks, ect, but it doesn't have any shitty Sora componets.

It is aluminum, however to make up for the harsh ride, it has a carbon fiber seat stay in additon to the Carbon fork, so it should ride a bit softer. It has full Tiagra compenents so that means it has full STI shifting, vs the Sora half STI shifting. For the price, its going to be a great starter bike. The first thing that I will do to it however is up to some clipless pedals

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 25 2005, 09:58 AM
looks like a good deal. 57 is pretty big though. i thouhgt you were short?
[post=503343]Quoted post[/post]​

I am 5'11" so I am not tall, but not short either. I have ridden alot of 56 cm frames no problem. 1 cm isn't really a huge jump in frame size. At this price, if it doesn't fit right, I can always put it back up on ebay and get my money back.

Back