Noobie needs help with tranny swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crombie09

Hey guys let me start out by saying this is a badass board. Ive been reading for a few hours and there is a lot of good info in here.

So anyway the question: I just bought a 91 Civic Hatch DX. It has a 89 Civic SI engine in it and the stock 4 speed. I bought a 5 speed Si tranny out of another 89, all I have is the tranny and the long bar that comes off it, sorry not sure what its called. What all do I need to make this work? I know I need axles, but what axles? Do I just get axles for a 89 Si Civic? - crombie09

Originally posted by jlicrx@Jan 1 2004, 09:43 PM
use the axles you have in the 4 speed

Are you sure they will work? I heard I needed different axles or something to make it work. So all I need to do the swap is the 5 speed tranny? -crombie09

Originally posted by crombie09+Jan 1 2004, 09:35 PM-->
@Jan 1 2004, 09:43 PM
use the axles you have in the 4 speed

Are you sure they will work? I heard I needed different axles or something to make it work. So all I need to do the swap is the 5 speed tranny? -crombie09

yes it will work - just take out the 4 and put in the 5 using the axles you have

im not 100% but i think 4 speed axles have diferent splines. I know they work with the 5 speed dx tranny. bu i remember someone saying you have to use si hubs and axles. But I am not 100% just letting you know what i have been told

If you have a 4speed, you have DX standard/HF halfshafts. If you have a DX or SI you have the larger halfshafts. To convert the tranny your going to need to change your halfshafts, and im pretty sure the clutch and flywheel are different.

There is way too much contridiction here and way too, much misleading information. My buddy did a similar swap if I can get a hold of him I will ask him. The only problem I can see here is that The DX, and SI use different hubs than the HF and STD. So I do not know if the transmission have different sized sockets for the axels. Some one please clarify this.

all 88-91 Civic/CRX axles will fit into the L3 4spd or 5spd transmissions (except for ZC transmission) - the difference is at the hub end where all DX and Si are the same, but STD & HF have smaller hubs - the axles you have will fit the Si transmission - trust me, we do these swaps all the time

Originally posted by jlicrx@Jan 2 2004, 10:41 PM
all 88-91 Civic/CRX axles will fit into the L3 4spd or 5spd transmissions (except for ZC transmission) - the difference is at the hub end where all DX and Si are the same, but STD & HF have smaller hubs - the axles you have will fit the Si transmission - trust me, we do these swaps all the time

Ok so all I do is take out the 4 speed DX transmission and put in the 5 speed Si transmission? No other parts required? Straight foward swap? -crombie09

if you don't trust peoples answers in the forums, then don't ask
-yes they will work

Originally posted by Uppertorso@Jan 4 2004, 07:23 PM
if you don't trust peoples answers in the forums, then don't ask
-yes they will work

Hey bro- I do trust these guys. I was just making sure b/c the guy that sold me the car threw in the Si tranny when I bought it. He told me I would have to get different axles for it to work. -crombie09

Back