Normal Or Synthetic Oil?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

acurabdby

Hey guys I've been using castrol oil but recently switched to Castrol Full Synthetic. 10w-40 but i plan on going back to 5w-30 just cause it hesitates too much. But whats your opinion on using synthetic over normal oil?
Its a 97 LS with about 60kmi if that helps.

Thanks 4 ur posts in advance!!!

well for an LS, synthetic won't affect much, but i recommend getting 5w-30. castrol is a good manufacturer, but I HIGHLY lube with Honda 5w-30.

For VTEC motors, it's been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN by NASE (National Automotive Science and Engineering) that synthetic oil is not recommended for VTECs. The mechanism acts differently and respond awkwardly. Honda, has it's own specs and made motor oil to reach these specs. Plus the detergents in the oil is much more aggresive than other brands. so pick your choice.

Then why does Honda reccomend Mobil One for use in the ITR or NSX?

Let's see this proof.

I broke my engine in on Havoline Natural Oil and have run Red Line synthetic since.

Dido that, I have always heard to break in with reagular and then switch back to synthetic.

Milan

but i could be wrong, just post some info kid :D

i personally, am not a fan of synthetic at all. i dunno. i have no proof either way... and i think we had a huge ass discussion on this WAY back when...

Well guys thanks for the info as always any help is always appreciated!!

though as of heard, this article was found in AutoTek, I had also asked NASE to send me the test results. see how they really are. Mobil One probably has the same oil specifications similar to honda. I've talked to jeremiah at Elk Grove Honda and they said the same thing too.

The Honda and Acura dealers in the Boulder both told me that Synthetic is prefereable, the Honda dealer in the Las Cruces says the same. I have never had a problem with Red Line and VTEC.

Originally posted by honda_mach3@May 15 2003, 07:56 AM
though as of heard, this article was found in AutoTek, I had also asked NASE to send me the test results. see how they really are. Mobil One probably has the same oil specifications similar to honda. I've talked to jeremiah at Elk Grove Honda and they said the same thing too.

If you have the results post them, or post a link. Give us some proof. What does synthetic do to the VTEC system that natural doesn't? The only differences I know about in the actual oil (not the additive package) from natural to synth is synth lubricates better and is more temperature resistant.

Back