Not going into reverse.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nealo

First off I'd like to say that this is about my friends 99 Prelude and not my civic. Well my friend picked up a 99 Prelude SH from the dealership and it was still under warranty. A couple weeks into the car later, his 4th gear broke (tranny would not shift into 4th, the rest of the gears were fine). Well the dealership gave him a brand new tranny and a new clutch (or so they say). Today (about 6 months later), he tried parralel (sp?) parking but his shifter would not go into reverse. He's not that great of a driver, he's not a bad one either, and he doesn't race much. All the other gears are fine once again but it wont even slightly go into reverse. It feels the same as trying to throw the car into reverse straight from fifth. Anyway, anyone know whats up, if his tranny broke once again or if his shift linkage got fucked up some way or another.

And yes. He wants a to buy another car but thats not really plausible right now.

Either your friend has some bad luck with transmissions or can't drive/ beats the crap out of the car. From the way it sounds the trans is just chewed apart, drain the oil I bet it will look silver.

also, you can't go into reverse from 5th position.. its a safety for morons who think they have a 6th gear. at a dead stop, move the shifter to 4th, then into reverse.. if it stillc an't go in, somethign is wrong

Thats what I meant. Try throwing the shifter into reverse from 5th into reverse in a working car and that exactly how it feels in his car straight from neutral.

try shifting into first gear, then shift into reverse. That use to happen to me when i had my 94 lude.....

make sure the shift linkage is installed correct and ya move the car back and forth then try

i thik those 99 ludes are lemons. my friend bill has had one for about 9 months and he has had the ATTS system replaced 3 times.

the first time he had to pay for the whole thing out of his own pocket too cause it wasn't covered by the $2000 extended waranty he purchased for the car.

the atts system cost him like $1300 to replace. anyway the only time it goes off is when he drives it normal, which is most of the time.

i was the first person to ever use it to cause he didn't know what it was, and one day coming out of the subway parking lot his CEL and ATTS light both came on at the same time. that was the start of it any way. he has figured out tho that once its gone off he can reset his ecu, and it will work fine for about 20 miles before it goes off again. so when he finds some dealership to get rid of it at he is just going to reset his ecu before he trades it.

lots of hondas do this, especially EG civics. Pull the shifter into reverse, and let the clutch out slowly, part way up the shifter will pop in. mine does it constantly

Back