NOT my 1st CRX, but new to this forum!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

therobesons

Hello everyone. My name is Bob.

I have had 2 other CRX's in the past that I resqued from the salvage yard, restored just enough to get them running again then sold them.

I just bought this, my 1st CRX that I wish to keep as my own.

It is a 1990 CRX HF, but it has had an engine swap to a 15B7. A 92-95 DX/LX 102 HP engine.

It has Air and Cruise, but both don't work.

I would like to get both working.

Other than that they are stock 'cept the radio, Alpine stero with cassete and 6 disk changer.

Stock speakers, so not great sound.

Anyway as a newbe I have lots of questions and as I try to restore this CRX the best I can I will have more.

Bob

wow thats an interesting swap :)

what was wrong with the old one?

did your previous HF motor have cruise?

I just bought this car.

I have only had it a few days, that is the way it came.

The air looks stock or at least honda, the cruise is after market.

The engine, well I had no idea it was exchanged untill I looked at what a HF is to have, 8v, mine said 16v. So I checked engine no. and it turned out to be a 15B7. I can not see a letter in front of the 15B7 but I think it is a D model.

Bob

It may sound stupid but does it have the compressor? If it was a swapped, there's a good chance who ever did it, didn't put the A/C back in.

Yea, all the AC stuff is there

There is just a little pressure in the lines but I do not think it is near enough to allow it to turn on the compressor.

I called a place that will service the AC for about $160. Or they will run a dianostic for about $35.00.

Bob

To get it serviced, as in topped off with r-134A? Go to Sears, it's only $100.

To replace it, do it yourself, there probably isn't any freon/r-134a left anyway. Get a compressor off ebay, then go to walmart and get a couple cans of the synthetic stuff or bring it to sears and they'll recharge it for about $100.

r-134 or r-12

I was told that because of its age it is charged with r-12, hard to find.

Can I just charge it with the r-134 from walmart?

Bob

sorry buddy a d15b7 was charged with r12 you will have to retrofit it to change to r134a. To do this properly is a nightmare. Your hoses and seals will be destroyed slowly. The 134a will eat them. It will work for a while however. For the cruise control problem you will need to go back to the car it came out of. There are alot of extra cables, vacuum lines, and controls. You will need all of these for it to properly function.

Back