NPR (Nippon Piston Ring) how is it

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aight hopefully this thread is still good but heres the result of the compression test from 4,3,2,1....140(problem),180,180,200...so wat u guys think...the shop said its def the rings and hes say if i still want to do the leakdown test it will total to $100 but only charge $50 for the compression test. So after seeing the result for the comp test i agrees not to do the leak test cuz i atleast kno that it's goin to be a big job... let me kno wat u guys think. thanks!

Man, you probably could've got your own compression tester for $30+

But as you said up top, it will be going to sleep for the winter..
There are some inexpensive 'good' pistons out there for the B18, so just save up and get some good pistons/rings/get it bored/honed and put it back in.
E

sorry forgot another thing, wen he took out the plugs to do the comp test we see on 1 of them have antifreeze on it too...u can actually see green ... is that the head gasket too?.

its either your head gasket or a warped head..... do you know if the motor was ever overheated, also was the head ever removed and reinstalled.... i suggest the leak down test to find the exact problem area the problem is but its all up to you man

you could do a leakdown if you want, but it's pretty safe to say that you have a blown headgasket.

i would be willing to bet that the rings are still good, because the compression looks good on the other cylinders.

Man, you probably could've got your own compression tester for $30+

But as you said up top, it will be going to sleep for the winter..
There are some inexpensive 'good' pistons out there for the B18, so just save up and get some good pistons/rings/get it bored/honed and put it back in.
E

yea i kno.... i even chekked it out at a auto parts store too, and it was $20, f***!! its koo doe i'll grab 1 some other day..so wat piston u got in mind dats good and reliable

you could do a leakdown if you want, but it's pretty safe to say that you have a blown headgasket.

i would be willing to bet that the rings are still good, because the compression looks good on the other cylinders.

so a blown head gasket can cause blue smoke too???

its either your head gasket or a warped head..... do you know if the motor was ever overheated, also was the head ever removed and reinstalled.... i suggest the leak down test to find the exact problem area the problem is but its all up to you man

yea it's been overheated before just recently too like maybe a month ago rite before work in the morning but i caught it goin up so i shut the car off and wait till it cooled down, plus did all the chekking routine. yea i was late too.....after the wait i started the car and everything was fine drove it to work and never overheat again so far...i did the thermostats, coolant flush and everything wit cooling dat would cause the overheat except the head gasket......is there anyways u can tell if my head is warp??? i hope not.
LEAKDOWN TEST...i need a air compressor rite?...how many gallon do i need to do this test and wat else i need

You don't need any gallons you just need the correct gauges...make that the piston is at tdc and i put 100 psi of air in the cylinder. With the proper gauges you will be able to see the amount of leakage in a percent form also like i said in previous post you will find where it is leaking. To tell if you head is warped you will need a feeler gauge and a strait edge ( not just any strait edge an actual strait edge like the ones that snap on sales) anyways with the head off the block. Lay it on a flat surface with the with combustion chamber side up. Then take straight edge and lay the machined side against the head the same as the figure below ( red lines ). Sticking feeler gauge in between head and strait edge ( blue circles ). Im not sure what hondas max tolerance is but i would say anything above .003 is warped but again im not sure what honda says.

sorry for horrible pic
headwarpage.jpg

Going on the obvious here but like what eg said but you need to have the surface clean of previous gasket material for a 'true' measurement.
You can use a new flat razor-blade with common sense, scrape away drawing it toward you with the edge angled away from you.

E

Back