o2 sensor install ..... damn generic o2 sensors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok, ran into a small problem trying to install my new o2 sensor.

The new o2 sensor came with JUST the wires and the o2 sensor. The instructions told me I would need to splice and connect the wires from the new o2 sensor to the connector. No biggie right?

Well, I looked on the old o2 sensor and there were four wires. Two black, one white and one green. On the new o2 sensor there are also four wires. Two black, one white, and one blue.

So, I assumed that the two black go together (im hoping I got the corresponding ones right) and the white goes to white, and the blue wire on the new o2 sensor goes to the green wire on the old o2 connector.

So wired everything up, did a nice and pretty little job. I started my engine, and this WHINING noise was coming from my intake.

WTF ???????????????????

after 30 seconds, the whining got progressively louder, then stopped. Then a minute later, it started again.

Im thinking that I did not wire the o2 sensor up correctly? Maybe I should switch the two black wires around?

If anyone cares, it is a 96 civic ex coupe stock y8 motor. Working on the front (before cat) o2 sensor...

oh ya, and im not throwing any codes....

took it for a short drive around the block (and aside from the low gas light thats coming on) there are no cels nor anything out of the ordinary....just that LOUD ass whining noise coming from the intake. I got a short ram air intake on there, couldnt find the stock air box to put back on when I had the motor replaced. Took off the filter, and the noise is DEF. coming from the intake....

your O2 sensor is on your down pipe from the exhaust manifold, i doubt it would have anything to do with noise from your intake. maybe you unhooked something else off the intake?

Originally posted by B16@Apr 5 2004, 03:29 PM
your O2 sensor is on your down pipe from the exhaust manifold, i doubt it would have anything to do with noise from your intake. maybe you unhooked something else off the intake?

negative batman.

all i touched was the o2 sensor and the clip. I doubled checked and everything is normal....

on a side note, I reset the ecu, fired it back up, went around the block to go get gas, and the noise apparently has dissappeared...

still kinda "iffy" on this one....

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 5 2004, 03:37 PM
Is it louder the harder you accelerate, or is it constant?

hmm, when it happened it was constant. did not get progressively louder in relation to the throttle being applied.

i think the ecu was reading (supposing i hooked up the wires incorrectly) the wrong.....<<reading?>> and was telling the intake to function that way....?

but now the noise is gone. I had bout a Bosch o2 sensor for 90.00. The OEM one was like 2xx.xx dollars....bah

anyways, i hope the noise was just a function of the ecu not being reset....

lesson learned. take note of how wires are hooked up before attempting a splice.

well, if i did hook up the wires wrong, there would be a noticible problem right?

i mean, there would be a cel thrown or something?

so im assuming that noise is gone, o2 sensor is wired correctly?

you would throw a cel.

Back