o2 sensor problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

melscott62

I have a 97 civic LX that has a bad cat. converter on it.....rather than spending the money to replace the cat I am going the bypass it. my problem is I assume that it will still give me the check engine light still. I have heard the if I can figure out the resistance the the 02 sensor is set for you can put a resistor on it to by pass it.
I have been told that I just need one that is between .1 and 1. when I went to get one they said I needed other specifics such as what olms and so on
does anyone know the answer to this?
Thanks

okay, let me clarify,
i am running without a catalytic converter. obviously, i am getting a CEL from my o2 sensor. my question is what are the specs for a good resistor to put in place of the o2? i know that the voltage needs to be between .1 and 1 volts. but what are the amps and ohms for the o2? i know there are a lot of people here running without a cat, and that you can buy these resistors out of car magazines for ridiculous prices. but as long as you have the electrical specs for the resistor, you can get one from somewhere like radioshack for pretty cheap. any help on this would be appreciated. thanks.

and oh yeah,

BUMP

on my 2000 ex i put in a test pipe. i rigged it up ghetto style and just zip tied the 2nd O2 sensor to my shift linkage. I never pulled a CEL until I was on the highway driving for a while. Never had it go off thru town.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but was just relaying my experience.

I also have the problem of a CEL being thrown once I hit the highway for 10 mins or so. I have a 98 civic lx automatic that I added a header, kat back exhaust, and a racing kat-eliminator pipe (high flo kat?). I purchased a new bottom o2 sensor for my high flo kat hoping that would take care of the problem, but it didn't. Very frustrating stuff. Anybody know what will fix this problem? What's the deal with resisters? Please tell.
I've been told that when the CEL is on, the car goes into a safty mode (and runs like shit). I believe this is the case with my car - but I'm not sure if it's just my distorted perception because of the "safty mode" story. Thanks, and sorry. I know I didn't answere your question at all melscott62.

Back