O2 sensor removal tips?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrutalB83

Brutal Moderator
VIP
Hey there, does anyone have any suggestions for removing an o2 sensor? The car is a 97 Integra LS, and I'm trying to remove the primary sensor from the factory downpipe. It's a 10 year-old car and I do live in Michigan, so I'm guessing it's just rusted and baked in place pretty good. I have one of the o2 sensor removal sockets and I've been dousing the threads with penetrator but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Any other suggestions?

Also (and sorry for the retarded newbish question here), will it hurt my car to be running around with the CEL light on for a little while until I get the sensor situation fixed? I recently installed a header and that's why I'm needing to transfer the sensor over. Right now the sensor is just unplugged and I capped the threaded hole in the header.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured, that the computer would probably try and compensate. Is that going to cause any kind of permanent problems if I don't get this sensor issued fixed for a while, say a week maybe?

Also, any suggestions for getting this damn thing out of the stock manifold without busting it all to hell?

Thanks alot for your help so far.

me personally, i would just buy a new one.. the one you have probably needs to be replaced soon anyways.. i wouldnt bust my knuckles over it

Yeah, cut the wire off of it and hit it with an impact wrench. If you have an impact that you can get down there without screwing over your radiator, that is.

Other than that, Perhaps a breaker bar and socket.. or a box ended wrench and a hammer?

The manifold is actually off of the car, just sitting on the bench in my garage, so yeah, cranking on it with a wrench or impact gun isn't a problem as far as breaking anything else on the car. I just unplugged the sensor. So far I've tried putting the manifold in the vice, and then cranking on it with one of the o2 sensor removal sockets on my ratchet. I can't budge the thing, even after a crapload of penetrator and using a breaker bar. I'll probably just have to buy a new one...well, hopefully I can find a working one on E-gay for cheap, cuz I don't really feel like spending 100-something bucks on this stupid thing.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll give it a whirl.

No, it's a 4-wire. My car's a 97 so it's OBD2. This is the primary o2 sensor that goes in the on the manifold downpipe, back by the collector. That's why I'd like to get it out and reuse it if possible, cuz the damn things cost like $120.

ok man I found a really good site to buy o2 sensors from its www.oxygensensors.com the prices are awsome. I usually buy the universal ones and use the plug from the old sensor. If you know someone with a tourch borrow it and heat the area where the sensor screws in the manifold. Then try turning it out. If that doesn't work just put the mani in a vice and use a cheater bar on your wrench. I have had some come out really hard but i have yet to break one.

Last edited:
Alright, I'm gonna try the heating it up and then wrenching on it one more time, and if I still can't get it then I'll probably be buying one from Ebay or that site. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks alot for the help, I really appreciate it.

Back