Obama's First Act As President

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Green job is a job in an area of renewable fuel/energy/processes. For example a person that installs solar panels or a person that installs new insulation into construction builds. Does that make sense?

From wiki:

A green-collar worker is a worker who is employed in the environmental sectors of the economy, or in the agricultural sector. Environmental green-collar workers satisfy the demand for green development. Generally, they implement environmentally conscious design, policy, and technology to improve conservation and sustainability. Formal environmental regulations as well as informal social expectations are pushing many firms to seek professionals with expertise with environmental, energy efficiency, and clean renewable energy issues. They often seek to make their output more sustainable, and thus more favorable to public opinion, governmental regulation, and the Earth's ecology.
Green collar workers include professionals such as conservation movement workers, environmental consultants, environmental or biological systems engineers, green building architects, holistic passive solar building designers, solar energy and wind energy engineers, nuclear engineers [1], green vehicle engineers, organic farmers, environmental lawyers, ecology educators, and ecotechnology workers. They also include vocational or trade-level employment: electricians who install solar panels, plumbers who install solar water heaters, and construction workers who build energy-efficient green buildings, wind power farms, or other clean, renewable, sustainable future energy development workers could all be considered green jobs.
There is a growing movement to incorporate social responsibility within the green industries. A sustainable green economy simultaneously values the importance of natural resources and inclusive, equitable, and healthy opportunities for all communities.[2]

with a democrat majority congress and house, the system of checks and balances will be destroyed.

*cough* first term of GWB? *cough*

Was there a Republican supermajority in congress at the time though? (That's not rhetorical, I don't remember :)) It's looking like the democrats could gain a supermajority this time around; they could override vetoes (not that they'd need to with Obama in office) and ignore the Republicans, including the few remaining sane ones.

That was a lame attempt at a joke on my part. So moving on..

How is this going to create thousands of jobs? We had a wind farm built on the hills just south of the town I grew up in. The company that built it goes all around the country to build wind farms. Now there is a tiny ass crew that does routine maintance on the mills. It did not spure huge economic growth. Some farmers are getting paid very well to lease their land. Thats about it, it did not create all kinds of jobs either.

The way I look at is; electricians are electricians, plumbers are plumbers. The same goes for the rest of them. If a company chooses to build with all green materials why in the hell would they have to hire 15 more guys onto the crew?

drink your Kool-aid

That will create a market in which whatever technologies are out there that are being presented, whatever power plants are being built, they would have to meet the rigors of that market and the ratcheted-down caps that are imposed every year. So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them because they’re going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted. That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel, and other alternative energy approaches.

But... didn't he also say this?

"But this notion of no coal, I think, is an illusion. Because the fact of the matter is, is that right now we are getting a lot of our energy from coal. And China is building a coal-powered plant once a week. So what we have to do then is figure out how can we use coal without emitting greenhouse gases and carbon. And how can we sequester that carbon and capture it. If we can’t, then we’re gonna still be working on alternatives."

I'm thinking so!

And then there's this little tidbit... McCain campaign?s last minute distortion of Obama?s coal record an act of desperation | United Mine Workers of America

Looks like you're the one chugging the Kool-Aid... yum, AM radio flavored!

The way I look at is; electricians are electricians, plumbers are plumbers. The same goes for the rest of them. If a company chooses to build with all green materials why in the hell would they have to hire 15 more guys onto the crew?

Yes and no - if there is a boom in lets say solar panels then there will be an increase in people certified/trained to install them to keep up with demand. Electricians are not electricians they are specialized i.e.: data, comm, fiber, sound/entertainment, High tension/voltage, residential, commercial, etc. It may not mean that every company hires 15 guys but if 150 companys across the us implement a solar panel crew that requires 10 guys then that is 1500 guys. I know it is a small example but think about that amplified over the various fields involved with "green" anything.

Last edited:
George Carlin said it best.....

You may have noticed that there's one thing I don't complain about: Politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says, "They suck". But where do people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. No, they come from American homes, American families, American schools, American churches, American businesses, and they're elected by American voters. This is the best we can do, folks. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out.

....I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain", but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain.

I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."

AND He said

“The next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election”

Yes and no - if there is a boom in lets say solar panels then there will be an increase in people certified/trained to install them to keep up with demand. Electricians are not electricians they are specialized i.e.: data, comm, fiber, sound/entertainment, High tension/voltage, residential, commercial, etc.

But what happens when there is a boom? Chances are, there will be a huge influx of commercial installers they build some solar farms and once they are built its general mantanice and maybe an emergency repair here and there so what do we do with all of these electricians now?

My whole point is that these "green jobs" they talk about are not going to pull us out of anything.

I am not talking about solar farms I am talking about everyday commercial and residential construction. Look at plumbing and electrical as examples both of them were "booms" in their day and you still have a significant amount of workers in those fields. What are they doing? working on new projects and maintaining old ones as the technology improves.

I am not talking about solar farms I am talking about everyday commercial and residential construction. Look at plumbing and electrical as examples both of them were "booms" in their day and you still have a significant amount of workers in those fields. What are they doing? working on new projects and maintaining old ones as the technology improves.

Right, but if a bunch of people get hired for specilized projects. Once they are completed the market will be flooded. I would be less skeptical about the whole idea if someone would actually put a plan together.

Sorry for taking this off on a tangent everyone. Back to the topic at hand. I really have no clue what Obama is going to do initially. I think that B is on the right track though.

when are you guys going to learn that both of these politicians are full of shit on all counts.
if mccain got elected, nothing would change from our current situation bc of the democratic majority in the other houses.
the only one that i would have voted for would have been ron paul, im sure b knows why, he's the one that introduced me to the guy basically. i dont watch the news or anything so i dont have to listen to the lies and watch the bullshit pour out of their mouths.
the only thing i didnt agree with on ron pauls part was the abortion issue, but if he could have done what he was wanting to do, actual change, i can get over that one part.
obama is talking about change but its nothing that we havnt seen already.
mcain is talking about change but its nothing we havnt seen already.
neither of these people want to be president so they can actually do good, they just want to win and make money. then have the ability to say: "I was president."

fuck them both.

our system sucks.

Cliffnotes - we're fucked.

Enjoy spreading the wealth comrades!

On another side note, when Obama finally takes office, I'd expect the world and all the other bleeding heart liberals to GET OFF OUR FUCKING CASE. If I hear so much as a peep from Bono, Angelina Jolie, the UN, NAACP or Al Sharpton, someone is getting iced.

crybaby.jpg

Oh, is this baby crying because someone jabbed a pair of scissors into the back of it's head or because it was induced prematurely and left to die in a room somewhere, or is it just getting the traditional carve and vacuum?

Obama announced he would give all minorities jobs. This just in, all minorities voted for McCain.

What do JFK and Obama have in common?

...nothing, YET.

What do you mean all minorities voted for McCain? As in some representation from all minority groups?

Back