OBD 0 to OBD1 conversion on LS/Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
I'm converting my 89 rex to OBD 1 so I have more tuning capabilities(hondata). What ECU do you'll recommend for a NA LS/VTEC (GSR head/B18A block)? so far the concensus is P28... <_<

P28 will work.
P30 will work, although it would be a waste.
P72 will work, although it would be a waste.

P05 would work with some modifications (4Wire, vtec)
P06 would work with some modifications (vtec)
P75 would work with some modifications (vtec)

If you're curious about any of the above, check out the ECU Modifcations section of the PGMFI wiki at http://wiki.pgmfi.org

If your GSR head still has the dual stage intake manny, you will need a P72 so the butterflies can open up. If not, the P28 is a great, and cheap choice for Hondata tuning.

if you want to run hondata- how about a hondata ecu? :)

if you plan to keep the gsr intake maifold with the iabs- hondata chip the p72

if you dont, ie using skunk2, or otherwise, hondata chip a p28.

I'm using the JG intake manifold w/ port matched TB by JG. So a P28 seems to be the way. Now as far as Hondata goes, Whats the setup of choice that will let me have the max amount of tuning capabilities ( I was hoping B might be able to shead some light. I just started looking at Hondata for fuel managment)

unless you plan on running boost, big (>310cc) injectors or you value your time more than your money, you can accomplish anything you can do with a hondata with the DIY OBD1 chipping/tuning solutions.

I'd highly urge you to check out what Uberdata and Crome (Romeditors) can do, and look hard at the DIY tools from PGMFI. All are free - the gear (which you'd have to buy to tune your own hondata anywhats) is the only expense you have.

If you want a polished solution with few(if any) rough edges and a proven track and tuning record, hondata is a great choice. The DIY stuff isn't as well documented, isn't quite as easy to use, and there is no guaranteed tech support. However, I have *hundreds* of cars running on chips I made with DIY tools, and few kids are blowing their shit up. Hundreds of people (figure can be justified with webserver logs) are using Ghettodyne, TurboEdit, Uberdata, Crome, BRE, Hondaedit to successfully tune their car for the price of their time and some simple tools...

Just my 2 cents.

Back