1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obd 1 Ecu And Wiring Questions

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by wannaberacer, Apr 13, 2003.

1. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

hey guys,
    I just bought a 95 jdm engine w/a cut harness and no ecu. My question is if I can use a USDM obd1 p72 5-speed ecu?? Or can I only use the JDM obd1 p72 5-speed one??
    Also, since my wiring harness is cut, does anyone know if it connects to the guage cluster??

2. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

I forgot to say it's a b18c1 motor.

3. sleeperciv

sleeperciv Junior Member

MORE INFO!!!! what kind of car?

if it's a 92-95 civic then use the stock civic harness, if it's not a vtec equipped civic just add vtec wires, knock sensor, and 2nd secondaries wire. don't use the jdm ecu because it has shitty programs and has a govnor set about 120 mph or less. just use a usdm p72 obd1 ecu.

4. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

well the car I bought is an 89' crx hf. It used to be a 10 sec drag car and had a stand alone engine management system. He parted the rest of the blown motor, trans and management system and left me with a good deal on a car with no wiring what-so-ever! I'm just looking to put it together with a stock b18c for now until I have some money to throw at it. The car has no dash and I was thinking to put a nice set of autometer guages. But, I don't have that kind of money anymore, so I'll swap an integra one or maybe if it works, I'll swap the dash out of my wrecked 944. I just need to know if the wiring harness for the motor plugs into the dash (obd1 gsr). If not, where can I find the dash harness?? Oh, and thanks for answering my question about the ecu thing, really appreciate it!

5. solblu

solblu Senior Member

Well you have a couple options, since you have no wiring at all you could get a harness from a 92-95 Civic and put it in or get a 88-91 harness and convert it to OBD1. Neither will be easy. The 88-91 Civic and CRX harnesses are 2 pieces, an engine harness and a car harness. The 92-95 harness is 3 pieces an engine, dash, and car piece. Just get all the pieces from the same car and you will be ok. I would sugest getting a 88-91 Civic Dx or CRX non Si or HF complete harness and converting it to OBD1. I have a how to for that. Now if you are planning on a custom dash it doesn't change much, the harnesses all do alot more than connect to the dash.

6. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

I'm just curious, why wouldn't I get the si wiring harness?? I heard its a lot easier to do a swap with that harness. Also, where can I get some good wiring diagrams?? Help!
    Lastly, I have to apologize. These are probably really common questions, and I know how irritating it must get sometimes when people keep asking the same stuff. But, I don't know much about these cars, I feel like I'm learning to work on a car all over again with this honda. I used to have a 944 and that thing seemed really easy to figure out, I rebuilt the motor, suspension, etc...even worked on em' at a shop. But swapping honda motors seem really difficult, especially in the situation I'm it with the car. Besides figuring the wiring and getting stuff to work I still have to cut the hard-mounted motor mounts and put something together to hold the hasport mounts. So if you guys would be nice enough to help me out I would really appreciate it! :D And thanks!

7. solblu

solblu Senior Member

The DX harness is easier to make OBD1, I have instructions on my site. Contact these guys for a mount kit if you don't already have one http://www.jimfab.com/

Honda's are pretty simple, and you've got lot's of experience on the net to pull info from.

8. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

I'm just curious, the wiring harness hooks up to the motor, ecu and dash and what else?? I need to know every other accessory it needs to hook up to because I'm sure I don't have it and need to buy it (ie turnsignals) :bash: . HELP!

9. solblu

solblu Senior Member

Well everything that's electrical in the car.EVERYTHING.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted