OBD 1 vs OBD 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DubDub

First of all I have an 89' civic with a 97' GSR engine & b16a1 tranny. The mech I used to put this powerplant in my little box tells me that my engine is 97' and its an OBD1 and that the change from OBD 1 to OBD 2 is in the year 97. I was told by a couple of others that the change takes place in 96. THat makes my engine OBD 2. What year is the change and do they make both in that year?? How does one tell what year their engine is by its serial number?? Maybe my mech meant he wired my car as obd 1 even though the engine is obd 2, Does that sound stupid?? (this was my first swap, looks like I should of done all of it myself!!). Please advise if you can show me some facts (link to a resource) I like to tell this mech he's full of shit if I can prove it with some paper facts.

Concerned tuner!

DubDub

Well if it is and obdo1 that is better anyway since you got a 89 the switch from 0 to 1 is alot easier then from 0 to 2

believe the change was in 96 making your motor obd 2, the way to tell the year is stamped on the head, the leftmost little circle on the front side of the head, right above where the header bolts up is where you'll be able to find it, there numers in the circle are the year of the motor, yours should then be 9 and 7, are you using the gsr harness and ecu?

96+ is OBDII......you need a jumper harness at the ECU anyways to change from OBD0 to OBD1.

I used p28 ECU and gsr harness. I still haven't figured out why my Check Engine light is still on though. Unfortunately I have to wait until May 15th to get into the shop with the guy I had wire my engine up. What does DD stand for? (13 sec all motor dd)

Originally posted by DubDub@Apr 14 2004, 01:53 PM
I used p28 ECU and gsr harness. I still haven't figured out why my Check Engine light is still on though. Unfortunately I have to wait until May 15th to get into the shop with the guy I had wire my engine up. What does DD stand for? (13 sec all motor dd)

i dont see how the 97 engine is an OBD1, he must have changed it to be OBD1.

Back