OBD and swap stuff for a newbie

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey id help ya for beer, not that i know much but if you ever need hand me n a couple buddies always lookin for honda guys to help out maybe learn a thing or two ourselves, what part of western PA u live in since im from there as well...?

i understand that your offering your opinion on what you believe to be the best, however, im paying for this stuff, and i have established a $5000 budget(including car, taxes, registration, etc) for a reason.

anyway, my initial powertrain budget is limited to $3K, and LSD is absolutely mandatory. so my options are OBD1 B16 for about $2700, B18B for $2600, or B20B for roughly $2400. ideallly, i could stretch my budget about $400 and just turbo the B20, make way more power than any other option, but if i allow for that exception, why not just stretch it another $400 and turbo a B16 to make even more power? hell thats $3800, why not just go a little more and put a damn CTR/ITR swap i it? you see where im going with this?

im looking for an easy(ish) swap with room to grow. i think the B16 is right up my alley, and certainly within my price range. as i mentioned before, i can get a complete LSD swap, shipped with everything needed to put it in the car for $2700.

and for what its worth, i live in Masontown, PA(Fayette County), about an hour south of Pittsburgh

I got my B16 from JSA motors, and got a hell of a deal on it, paid for ODB1 and ended up with ODB2 with a P30 ECU, I am a happy camper.

Engine pulls hard, it did come with a bad MAP and TPS but from what i have been reading alot of them come that way.

i have a 98 hatch with a b16a 2gen swap that i swaped in so basicly the same thing as your looking for, all i needed was a rear tranny bracket off 99-00 SI and had to convert my wiring witch was obd2a to obd1, get some diagram take your time and everything is gonna go aright ;)

Its better to stay in your obd to make things go alot smoother.You will endup buying less things and will not have to worry about converting obd.Also its illegal to swap a motor thats older than the car,such as a obd2 car with a obd1 motor.Why is LSD mandatory?

thanks for the answers. i think im going to stick to my guns and continue on to purchase an OBD1 swap, simply because of price and availability of OBD1 motors. the OBD conversion harneses run in the $100 range, and as far as i can tell, make the whole process a lot easier.

and LSD is mandatory as i know i will want it later on, and will be happier overall if i just spend the extra $300 and get one now rather than dissassemble the trans to put one in later. i have driven 200whp hondas with and without LSD, and its a big difference in my opinion, not just in accelleration but also in handling. the LSD is for my end goals, but its something i think should be taken care of now to save time and money later on.

Back