Obd Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DJReaction

so I have a 2000 Civic EX, obviously the car is OBD2, but the motor was blown and parts were converted to an OBD1 motor was swapped into it, my buddy changed out a few things and what not and the car runs fine except it has a 3500 rev limiter, he said that the distributor has a crank sensor which is where its supposed to go on OBD1, but with the car being OBD2, he said the crank shaft is on the block, and the car is in safe mode and we cant figure out whats wrong, anyone have any ideas?

I'm assuming your using the OBD1 ecu with the OBD2 EX wiring. Here's the OBD1 ecu's pins to use the OBD2 wiring to the OBD1 dizzy.

B11 - Yellow CYP P
B12 - Black CYP M
B13 - Green TDC P
B14 - Red TDC M
B15 - Blue CKP P
B16 - White CKP M

if you can get any error codes, that helps too. OBD1 ecu's pin A13 would be your check engine light. Let us know. Hope that helps!

What?

Yup the crank shaft is in the block!

First off you should have bought the proper distributor, alternator, and fuel injectors to match your car OBD2 for the type of engine you installed eg. B series stuff OBD2 or D series stuff OBD2. Or if you swapped in a d16 from an old D16 then used the old stuff off your stock motor. Then you should have bought the OBD2b to OBD1 conversion harness to run the appropriate OBD1 ECU in your car.

This would have saved you from hacking up the wiring harness and made things a lot easier.

what motor are you running? tho it doesnt matter, honda sohc/dohc OBD base pinouts are the same

ok so update, we did some more swapping! now I have a OBD1 block and an OBD2 head because the OBD2 block was blown, so we did the swap last night and everything was done properly, but now when we try to turn it over theres a ringing sound, there IS compression cuz we tested that! we think the timing may be off, but theres no marks on the crankshaft to line shit up, I just got a chiltons manual and thats not having much helpful info either! anyone have any suggestions?

oh and my set up is my block is a D16Z6 and everything else is OBD2 from a 2000 Civic EX

Last edited:
Back