OBD-I+OBDII=???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RiCe RoCcEt

umMm... i remember reading somewhere that swapping a obd-I into a obd-II car is illegal or some shit. does anyone know if this is true? (im forgetful). well if it is true, im planning for a ls/vtec setup, does this mean i need a obd-II head? what are my options? thanks in advance

shit, well i know i was supposed to research this up before i post, but uhhh i just read a topic about irhavok wanting to do i guess a obd-i into a ek, and projekteg said are you talking about the plugs on the egine wiring harness? if so, they're all the same style plug except for the injectors and distributor, so just get some obd1 plugs for the injectors and distributor and wire them to the wiring harness and you'll be good to go. all of the colors will be exactly the same, so there should be no confusion.

is that the answer im looking for?

The answer you are looking for is that it is illegal because of emissions laws.

And depending on where you are at (California for sure), head swaps alone are illegal.

i don't know where you live but in some states it is i called my DOT in pa and they told me as long as i have the o2 sensors and the cat i can put what ever i want in there as long as it passes the emmissions which is really easy in this state it is all visual, i put an obd1 b16a2 in my 97 civic lx and i passed inspection with it

Some places are easy like that, some places will take your car apart to inspect it.

yeah that is true i wish i had an obd1 car. makes life easier, but i love my 97 body style :D

i live in the big bad CA :) and emission shouldnt be a thing for me then, but for the swap, what harness should i use? OBD-I or OBD-II? what mods do i do?

Originally posted by RiCe RoCcEt@Dec 22 2004, 12:19 PM
i live in the big bad CA :) and emission shouldnt be a thing for me then, but for the swap, what harness should i use? OBD-I or OBD-II? what mods do i do?
[post=435918]Quoted post[/post]​

Harness? You need the OBD2 to OBD1 harness. As far as if its illegal it is illegal I have a OBD1 ecu in my 2001 Integra but I kept my OBD2 ecu to put in for smog, even though it still will not pass.

so let me ask you this, if the car is obd2 and the engine is obd1, but you leave the car set up like an obd2 and set the engine as an obd2 like the ecu and the o2 sensors is that legal or do you need to get an obd2 motor for an obd2 car? so basically like for me with a 97 my only options would be obd2 b18 series?

If you use all the OBD2 emission control hardware and sensors, you can usually pass in California. Just make sure you have everything documented and you go to a smog ref that's reasonable. To be the absolute safest, I would still swap in an engine that's the same year or newer than your car.

I don't know if they run numbers, or if they all know about the date head stamp. I really comes down to which ref you go to, but the CARB rep I talked to about the issue knew his shit. Probably knew a lot more than most tuners.

i think the only reason i like living in idaho is there is no smog checks. so my h22 powered civic has no poblemo with any kinda law.

my main question was, if i could use the motor harness of a obd-1 on a obd-2 car for the swap, and if i could, what, if any, mods do i have to do? motor harness not ecu harness

Originally posted by RiCe RoCcEt@Dec 24 2004, 08:32 AM
my main question was, if i could use the motor harness of a obd-1 on a obd-2 car for the swap, and if i could, what, if any, mods do i have to do? motor harness not ecu harness
[post=436745]Quoted post[/post]​

Just use your existing obd2 harness with your obd1 engine and... use an ECU harness. The obd1 motor harness doesn't have shock tower plugs like the obd2 one does. Anyway, I just woke up nfn to ask him this for you. lol.

lol, thanks a whole lot and your buddy too, happy holidays everyone, stay safe :D

i used an obd1 b16a2 engine in my 97 civic and it worked just fine i just changed all the stuff over to obd2a the injectors the dizzy the only problem i am having is the altenator i don't know if it is my wiring or if the alt is dead but you should be fine, just add the vtec wires if needed and just extend the o2 sensor wires and you are good to go, also any engine CAN be done if you know what you are doing two of my boys have obd0 motors in there civics running just fine one civic is a 97 and the other is a 95 so anything can be done if you know what you are doing

Back