OBD Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Put the car up on stands, call a friend to come over, get under the car, have your friend wiggle the shifter around as you watch the shift linkage, youll be able to see where the slop is in it. :thumbsup:

It's not slop though. It's very defined. It's like whatever holds it in place while in gear is not in existance in my trans.

I gotta take a vid for ya. It'll be up later. Unless someone calls thread jack...... I'm not trying.

no i would love to see this, i might help when i need to replace mine when i get my engine :)

The slop in my dads Civic turned out to be the universal joint thing, the bushings were like new.

But yeah, jack it up and feel around for play anywhere before you buy anything.

So i have another question here. i have found a possible b18c swap.

So... I'm is the wiring harness for the b16 different then the b18 wiring harness.

as in will i need to put another wiring harness in or can i use the b16 wiring harness.

never mind did some research today and figure out that you can use the b16 wiring harness with a b18! woo!

never mind did some research today and figure out that you can use the b16 wiring harness with a b18! woo!
I thought you had to add a couple of wires for the GSR intake maifold, but I dont think its too hard if you already did the B16A swap. And also don't you also have to convert it over to OBD1?

I thought you had to add a couple of wires for the GSR intake maifold, but I dont think its too hard if you already did the B16A swap. And also don't you also have to convert it over to OBD1?

Yes and yes, Obd0 accord had IAB's in their intakes but never had vtec, He will have to convert to Obd1 and rewire the IAB's on the C1 intake manifold....

wiring_92-952.jpg

to be completely honest I'm not sure if its OBD0 or OBD1, iv just been told that its not OBD1 because i don't have a box or something under the driver side dash.

I bought it like that. I'm also not that good with cars, iv gotten 200 times better with them since i bought my Honda, but still don't trust myself to do anything with them.

if its easy let me know it might be worth the change over.

There is most definitely a difference between obd-0 and obd-1 distributors as it is a vital electrical component. ;)

The TDC position sensor in the obd1-2 distributors have a different number of teeth on the magnetic stator inside. Obd0 has less.

Your car is OBD0, your B16 could either be OBD0 or OBD1, to tell the difference, look at the O2 sensor, 1 wire is OBD0, 4 wire is OBD1. If the motor thats in there now is OBD0, you will need to convert before putting the GS-R in there, which could either be OBD1 or OBD2.

to be completely honest I'm not sure if its OBD0 or OBD1, iv just been told that its not OBD1 because i don't have a box or something under the driver side dash.

I bought it like that. I'm also not that good with cars, iv gotten 200 times better with them since i bought my Honda, but still don't trust myself to do anything with them.

if its easy let me know it might be worth the change over.
Well, for starters lets see what you have first. What color are the plugs on your fuel ingectors. Do you know what ECU you have? That would defentally tell us what OBD status you have. Does your ECU have a little clear circle on top of the case with a led light underneath it? Tell us what OBD status you have then we can tell you what to do for the GSR swap.

well i cant find my ECU, lol i know its there just cannot find it. iv looked in the spots its supposed to be and still cannot find it. i basically tore my entire interior.

Iv looked under my passenger side carpets with no luck, also iv looked in my trunk (its gutted) also iv looked under my back panels and everything. also i don't see anything noticeable in the engine bay that looks like a ECU.

I know it is a aftermarket Mugen ECU no clue what its chipped to though.

here are the pics of my injectors.

319576178_1090535836_0.jpeg

319576308_1090536313_0.jpeg

319576410_1090536681_0.jpeg

Yeah its OBD1. So I think all you have to do for the GSR motor is add the two wires for the IAB's which is easy. I'm not positive on this but other HondaSwap memberes can tell you. Hope that helps.:)

Oh and btw the ECU is under the passengers footwell, 4-10mm bolts takes it out.

Last edited:
that's the first place i looked its not there. its hidden somewhere in that car. I'm going to have a friend come over and we are going to keep looking for it. ill check one more time.

Is there a plate or something covering the ECU?

Also what does IAB stand for? not up on the acronyms.

I know its a roughly 750 dollar ECU, or at least that what iv been told. but it seems that some people say they know more then they actually do. :confused:

Last edited:
So i have just a quick side question here (i should have my own board for all my questions! :p).

when i was taking my head off before i broke a sensor off my head (just the wire broke) i dont know what sensor i need to buy.

(sorry for all of my horrible pictures only have a camera phone)

Here is the head with the sensor in it, its located on the left side of the head (as you look at it when its in the car) it screws in.

319336889_1089655751_0.jpg

Here it is without the Sensor in the head.

319336796_1089655428_0.jpeg

Here is the sensor its self.

319334280_1089646180_0.jpeg

And here is a close up.

319334156_1089645745_0.jpeg

Tempature sensor I think. I broke mine aswell and I just used a standard single female connector, worked very well. Other then that try a autowercker, or if you have to go to Honda.

Back