obd0 - obd1? illegal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMEG-6

wek sos
just read the article that pissedoffsol posted about the obd on diff. cars and swapping diff. obd motors into them!!
for example : putting a obd0 motor in a obd1 chasis..

the main thing that caught my eye though was when it says
"swapping a lower obd into your car is illegal"
i really would like to know some more info on this... i mean.. im halfway from doin my ls/vtec build and really do not want to half to bail out on it... :(

swap is going into a 1994 civic h/b (eg-obd1)

the motor is: obd0 B18A1 LS (only using the block though)(LS/Vtec)

any info? *b*

oh ok...
wheeww..
thought i was "sol"

so nothins wrong with using the obd0 b18a1 ls block for ls/vtec in a eg right?

Shouldn't be, but I would check your local emissions laws first. The laws vary by state, and then by county.

well... LS/VTEC is illegal period.. some states dont even check that kinda shit though, here in CA, thats a big no no..

what's illegal about ls/vtec here in cali if all the emissions stuff is hooked up for a b18a/b (since that's what stamped on the block) and it's from the same year or newer?

the VTEC head is what makes it illegal here.. hybrid motors are a no go here.. well legally..

Ok but answer me these questions.

How honda savy does an emissions tech have to be to catch it?

I mean they dont stick there head into the bay and look for engine codes right?

From what I've read, they actually do. Honda head swaps are really common, so I'm sure they know quite a bit about it.

yes, they check the engine code.. and if it shows up on there computer as a non vtec and it has VTEC on the valve cover, then its pretty obvious

That sucks for, but here in Utah they dont check.

Back