OBD0 to OBD1 upgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

clanny

I'm going to be putting a b16b in my ukdm crx. My car is an EE8 (b16a1) and all the mechanicals should be fine. I'm looking for a bit of a help with the ecu.

I have in my car at the moment, a PW0 ecu which is OBD0. I was planning on keeping my obd0 as it would have made financial sense because I thought there was no dizzy with the new engine. Turns out that there IS a dizzy included. It is MUCH newer than mine so why not keep it (since it was meant to go with the engine anyway) and convert to obd1 (I'm told that obd1 is better than obd2 and easier to work with).

With this in mind, I have sourced a p28 ecu but have been offered a swap for a p30. I remember reading somewhere that the P30 is better.

1, Can anyone confirm that the P30 would be the ecu to go with to run the b16b?
2. Is there anything I should look out for when running this ecu (or the p28) like lean running etc?
3. I'll need to run another wire to the knock sensor on the block and a 4 wire O2 sensor, is there anything else I should be thinking of?
4. Will the p30 obd1 work with the obd2 dizzy and injectors that come with the engine?

Thanks for your time reading this.

*edit* Alternatively, I could sell the p28, ctr dizzy intake, tb and injectors and use the cash somewhere else on the engine. Any ideas? Oh, it also has a ctr clutch which I'll probably sell 'cos it wont fit my gearbox (so I'm told) and I have a brand new exedy organic one waiting.

Yeah that's right. That's why I'm asking all the obd2/obd1 questions. The dizzy is obd2 and so will the injectors. I was told that obd1 is better and that all the bits and bobs will run on obd1. I was asking for confirmation from anyone who has run an obd2 dizzy/injectors or engine on obd1.

Originally posted by brian11to1+Nov 18 2004, 06:03 PM-->
a B16B is a OBD2 as it's from the 96 Civic Type R.
[post=418845]Quoted post[/post]​

clanny
@Nov 18 2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah that's right. That's why I'm asking all the obd2/obd1 questions. The dizzy is obd2 and so will the injectors. I was told that obd1 is better and that all the bits and bobs will run on obd1. I was asking for confirmation from anyone who has run an obd2 dizzy/injectors or engine on obd1.
[post=418855]Quoted post[/post]​

it doesn't matter if the engine is obd2, if you convert your crx to obd1, you can still run an obd2 engine. you'll have to rewire the distributor anyways, so you can just wire up the obd2 distributor and still run it with an obd1 ecu. the only differences in obd2 and obd1 engines are the dizzy and injector clips, the electronics are the same. at the most, all you'll have to do is swap in your obd0 injectors, which you would have to do anyways since you're converting to obd1 ecu, unless you remove the factory injector resistor box. to anwer your question, yes, they're the same, the only difference is the plugs, but you'll want to run your crx injectors anyways unless you take out the resistor box.

Great thanks.

I'm planning to take out the resistor box anyway. My understanding from all the stuff I've read is that all I need to do is take the box out, get a clip and connect all the wires together (the clip will fit in the old connector and leave it nice and neat).

Then I can run the ctr injectors which although they are the same size, they are about 110k miles newer!

well then you will need obd2 injector clips b/c the plug on obd2 injectors is totally different than obd0 or obd1, but that's no biggie, just cut the wires and splice them on.

Back