OBD1 B16A P28. Bad IAC Causing ECU Limp mode?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

itslogz

Alright. Im looking at a DA with a B16A OBD1 Swap with a Skunk2 Chipped P28, the only problem with the car is that he says it needs a IAC, is throwing a CEL (Hes not at home no more so cant check the code) and the engine will not rev over 3500RPM. Now in the OBD1 CEL Code list, code 14 is Bad IAC or relative.

He claimed to have tryed 2 different P28's with this same setup, and the problem is still there.

HE SPECIFICALLY said that it needed a IAC, and SPECIFICALLY said it is throwing a CEL but he cant check the code since hes not where the car is anymore, his brother would be doing the sale. He claims it is most likely a bad distributor, but he also said it deffinetly needs a IAC so I myself am not sure if it really needs more than a IAC... Sooo.

Question: Could a bad IAC cause a P28 ECU to go into limp mode, or would that not be relative and only make it idle weird and mess with things like that. If its not a bad IAC causing this whole problem then I dont think its worth it to drive 250 miles to pick up a car that I have no clue where to start looking for problems.

Thanks alot for any help, its greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad idea to me... I don't think the IAC would have that effect on the car, and it definitely would not indicate a bad distributor - that doesn't make any sense. Sounds like there is a lot of things that person is not telling you about the car. Don't fall into the trap... and BTW it is not that difficult to check CEL codes, that persons brother should be able to do it for you with a little instruction... unless he's a retard.

Thanks for the reply. Luckily, I already bought a different car though that was exactly what I was lookin for (B16A DA with all those problems above for $2000, or a B16A DA with no mechanical problems what so ever for $2000, I took the 2nd pick :p)

Back