OBD1 B18a/b into an 89 civic Si hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

impreziv

hi everyone, just registered for this forum. i bought an 89 Civic Si hatch yesterday. im planning on installing a B18a or B18b. I've read quite a few articles about the swap here and on other forums.

my car is OBD0, and the motor im going to be using is going to be either OBD1 or 2. in either case, im going to be running the motor on OBD1, probably with a PR4 ecu.

my first Question is: if i use an OBD1 B18a/b motor, and a Rywire OBD0-to-OBD1 conversion harness, will everything be plug and play? can i use the B18b exactly as it comes to me from the wrecker?

my second question: what are the additional complications of using an OBD2 B18b? Rywire says on their page that on-request they can make the distributor adaptor work on an OBD2 dizzy. if i select that option, am i set? or is there additional complications with the OBD2 B18b?

(my question only pertains to the motor and its own operation. i have already figured out the tranny and axles situation)

anyone know?

im going to be buying an OBD1 B18b this week, and i need to know if i need to buy anything else for the motor.

you know how to swap in it right??
as for wiring,yes the rywire thing is direct plug in
if the motor is coming from a wrecker,,you should give it a rebuild but its not exactly needed..

yeh, i know how to swap the motor in. im mostly familiar with EGs and EKs. ive just never done wiring for an OBD0 honda

yes the motor is coming from a wrecker. they have a partnership with a local machine/engine shop, and i can pay a bit more to have it rebuilt. i think im going to do that, as i plan on turbocharging it.

if that Rywire conversion harness is a plug and play deal, im going that route.

that would be ideal, but all of the B18a motors available to me locally are very high milage (300,000+). my bro works at a local wrecker, and i might be able to score a B18b for either very cheap or free. the B18b motors they have are all about 150,000kms (~80,000 miles i think).

and i can also pick up a B18a cable tranny for like $200

the guy i bought my car from, rebuilds hondas, and does swaps. he offered to put a B18a motor into the car for me for an extra $1600 when i bought it.

if i get the B18b for like $400, im looking at $200 (tranny) + $165 (rywire harness) + $150 (mounts)
(im also going to be buying a new clutch, alternator, and full motor gasket kit)

assuming the motor comes with an ECU, and tranny comes with linkage + axles, i think thats most of the major expenses of this swap, please correct me if im wrong.

im also not sure if i need the front wheelhubs + bearings from the integra, for the axles to work. some ppl have said in their writeups that it is needed to work, and some have said the axles mate up perfectly without.

1600 to put the motor in is alot...you can do it yourself...
and the car is an si so the axles will work perfect(but you have to remove the dust rings from the hub)
you cant use the linkage from the motor or your car..you will need a custom linkage

it wasnt just 1600 to put it in. that includes the motor, mounts, wiring, and everything

i read somewhere i can use the linkage from B18a/ tranny, i just need to cut them down, or something.

ill need to read into that more

i agree. hes charging alot of labour in that cost.

im definitely going to do the swap myself. hopefully i can get the motor tomorrow, but it doenst really matter, cause i wont have the Rywire harness, and mounts until next week

exactly^^

and you can use the bseries linkage,..you will have to cut it,,but that isnt safe..you dont wanna be stuck somewhere not being able to change gears

can anyone recommend a cheap/decent motor mount kit?

i was going to buy my friends Hasport kit that he never ended up using, but he sold them to someone else :p

so the rywire you dont have the seperate 8 wire harness (i think 8 or so wires) you have to wire to the engine/ 02 sensor?

i just looked it up. it is not quite plug and play. but its not hard either. just 4 wires to 02 sensor. at least. if you have a vtec swap, one to pressure sensor, one to solinoid..... and vtec stuff. also a toggle switch to check cels

(its the litlle wire harness circled around the ecu jumper harness, this is needed for all obd0-obd1 conversions)
http://rywire.com/store/obd0-obd1-c....html?osCsid=d2e356a99adf13790ebcabda279feb68

Last edited:
Back