OBD1 Ls To OBD2 GSR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phlare

I have a wierd situation on my hands here... im trading motors between a 95 ls and a 96 gsr. Im not really sure which parts are the same on both. I was wondering if someone could help me on the bare minimum parts i need to swap with the motors. i believe the axles, motor mounts, shift linkage, clutch fluid line, radiator hoses, are the same on both (or at least interchangeable). some of the things im not sure are the throttle cable, exhaust manifold (and cat, etc). and i was planning on just swaping the whole wiring harness unless theres an easier way someone knows about, if not how hard will that be? So any help anyone could give me would be mutch apriciated. I have looked for articles on this swap but havent found anything, know where i could find info?

Thanks

the wiring will be the problem...lowcashracing.com makes a conversion harness for like $150 that will save you a lot of time and possibly keep you from messing up the wiring. we just put an obd1 b16 into an obd2 civic, we didnt buy the conversion harness and i believe there was just over 100 wires that had to be spliced..do your self a favor and get the harness.

Originally posted by 7thgen01@Sep 7 2003, 09:50 PM
we didnt buy the conversion harness and i believe there was just over 100 wires that had to be spliced..

even though id be removing the whole harness out of both the cars i would still need to splice them?

no yyou wouldnt because you have an OBD2 motor and ecu....my shop just but an OBD1 b16 into an OBD2 civic...it wasnt pretty..the swap was fairly simple, but they are still messing around with the wires...

I just swapped a 00 GSR into my 94 LS myself. You will need a GSR Throttle cable for starters or you can rig your LS(ONLY if your desperate). As far as the wiring goes, I used a obdI p72 ecu with my motor. The harness's plugged right in and I just had to wire in 4 more wires to run vtec and the secondaries. Sometimes you will have to swap the distributor plugs in order to not throw a code, but I didnt have to. Other than that, its pretty much plug and play. Your ps pump wont match up either if you plan on keeping that feature. You will have to use the LS one. Thats all I can think of as of right now.

hmmm the power steering pump, that a pain in the ass isnt it? probably not worht the hassle.. thanks a lot! do you know about the exhaust manifold etc?

do some more research on that from 94-97 the integra motors should be all the same the only things you need to change are wireing for vtec and deal with the obd1 to obd2 deal see after 97 is when they changed the motor setup so do some more research on that from 94-97 on a gsr the only changes were in 96 they went to obd2 and since your putting a 96 obd2 gsr into a 95 obd1 ls you need the vtec wires and an obd1 vtec ecu

PS pump isnt anything once the motors out...its not even a big deal when the motors in. If you dont have the pump off the LS you can find one for about $20-40 used at any junkyard. Its held on by I think 2 bolts and the ps line is held on with 2 bolts...simple. I used a dc sports 4-1 header which bolted right up to my stock ls exhaust...but Im not sure if the ls header will fit on a gsr block. I believe all b-series headers will work on all b-series blocks.

ok cool, thanks a lot for the help! im gonna buy some new timing belts and see if i cant get ahold of a 6 puck and some cams to start off with...

I just did the same swap about two months ao. I had no problems with the ps. Use an obd1 ecu and you will be fine. 4 wires to get the vtec working and your in business. Do a clutch before you drop the motor in too. You need to use the ls header and gsr throttle cable. It is really a very easy straight foward swap. Any question e-mail me steviekulwicki@hotmail.com

Back