obd1 motor in a obd2 car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brentp

i am putting a 93 ls b18a1 motor in a 98 civic dx. I am told that the b18 is an obd1 and the civic is an obd2. Is this true and if so that do i need to do in order to swap? Also what ecu should i use?

I hope u didn't already buy that engine if you did'nt buy a 96+.For real though it sshouldn't be that hard, I never did a swap in an ek but I think i bolts right up, and you'll have to get a custom dizzy, swap the distirbutor, couple other wiring things and you should be fine.

Originally posted by 2fastaccord@Nov 13 2003, 08:47 PM
Hope you don't live anywhere with strict emissions laws.

Peace*

:werd: check w/your local DMV and make sure its a legal year engine to swap into your chassis and they can give you all the rules to play by...if you care about a legal car that is

I'll echo what has been said before - if you live in a state that gives a shit about swaps/emissions, you'd best be careful.

With that out of the way, there are several ways to do this, with varying expenses/difficulty levels. You have two basic choices: 1. Keep the car OBD2, convert the motor to OBD2. 2. Keep the motor OBD1, convert the car to OBD1

In order to convert the motor to OBD2, the main PITA thing you will have to do is install the crank fluctuation sensor from a 96+ LS motor. I am not sure if this is a trivial task on a B18A1 - I've only ever removed them from OBD2 motors when going into OBD1/0 cars. Aside from that, you're going to have to repin the distributor. I'd recomment taking the plugs off your old DX distributor and swapping wires - unpin both the OBD1 distributor connector and your 98 DX distributor connector, move the OBD1 wires to the 98 plug. Once that is done, grab a 96-98 LS ECU and hope for the best. You might have to lengthen/relocate some wires (thermoswitch for fan, etc.) but USE THE 98 DX HARNESS!@!@!@!

The other (and better) option is to use a 92-95 LS ECU (which you might already have, considering you have a 93 motor) coupled with an OBD2A-OBD1 conversion harness. Additionally, the same advice as above about repinning the distributor and moving wires applies. You do not need to install the crank fluctuation sensor tho. Keeping the motor OBD1 and using an OBD1 ECU will make it much easier for you to chip the ECU or run a hondata in the future.

peace
-Dave

I NEED HELP TOO!!!!! I'm swapping a b16a SI-R II (obd1) i believe, into my 96 civic ex (obd2). i know this question has been asked by other people a million times. But i need to ask again to be sure! what am i going to need to do this swap? If im going to need to buy anything else other then hasport motor mount kit, let me know? Please try and explain this in the simplest way you can cause my dad is helping me with this and i think if the wiring get to complicated i may just take it to a shop and concord? thank for any help

*note- I was going to do h22a swap but i was told it would be a lot of work and a lot of money :ph34r:

YOU DO NOT NEED A HASPORT MOUNTKIT!!!!

If you have a 92-93 LS motor (like brentp), you need to get a rear bracket and mounts from a 94-00 LS integra. OEM MOUNTS. CHEAP OEM MOUNTS.

If you have a SiR2 B16A1, it should be a bolt in to a 96 Civic EX. Most of the JDM Motors I know come with the rear bracket cut. You'll need to replace it with one from a 94-96 del sol vtec (B16-powered) or a 99-00 Civic Si.

Frosty, follow the same advice I gave brentp regarding wiring / ECUs / etc. It applies equally to you (except substitute P30 / chipped P28 ECU)

Back