obd1 or obd2? thats the question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LOS222

I HAVE A 1996 ACCORD LX NON-V-TEC. I AM PUTTING A 93-95 H22A JDM ENGINE IN IT. I THINK MY CAR IS OBD2 BUT THE ECU THAT CAME WITH THE MOTOR IS OBD1. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? CAN I INSTALL WITH WHAT I HAVE? OR WILL I NEED TO GET A H22 OBD2 ECU. ALSO SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT A USDM ECU FROM A NEWER V-TEC ACCORD WOULD WORK. IS THAT TRUE? WHAT WILL MAKE IT RUN THE BEST?

you could
1. get an obd2-1 clip and run the obd1 ecu and your lx harness, vtec wires needs to be added.

2. buy an obd2 h22a ecu or an obd2 gsr ecu, use lx harness and add wires.

I LIKE OPTION 1 SO FAR, WHERE DO I GET THE CLIP? AND WHICH WIRES ARE THE V-TEC WIRES? WILL THIS OPTION GIVE ME THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK?

obd1 ecu's give you more tuning options, I personally'd go with 1.

option 1 and 2 will cost you about the same, both around 100-150.

look in the reference section for the wiring directions/pins, or search "how to wire vtec". note: VTEC

THANKS ALOT!! HOPE EVERYTHING GOES SMOOTH. WHERE CAN I BUY THIS CLIP? E-BAY? IF I HAVE ANY OTHER PROBLEMS I'LL POST ANOTHER MESSAGE. THANKS AGAIN "WORD"

96 n up are all obd2.

you can shop around for the obd2-1 clip, they all do the same thing. just find one that suits your budget.

SO, WHICH WIRING HARNESS WOULD I USE? ACCORD OR PRELUDE? AND WHICH ECU WOULD I USE? ACCORD OR PRELUDE?

modify your current accord harness unless you can get your hands on an obd2 prelude wiring harness for cheap.

use the prelude h22a VTEC ecu. Once you finish the swap the engine will run poorly with the f22b non-vtec accord ecu.

chill with the caps.

hey guy i am playing devils advocate here
What if you have a 1995 accord lx (obd1) and trying to put a 1997 h22a engine in it (obd2)?
How will i do the wiring for this set up?

It sounds like kingmarc63 and LOS222 should talk about swapping some parts. Then the two of you could each have the correct OBD for your respective cars. Part for part, you'd only pay shipping. For OBD 1, I'd use a P13 or a chipped ECU. I don't think the Accord fuel maps would be optimal. That ECU would work though.

Back