1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OBD1 P72 & OBD2 P72

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by NyQuiL_AcCoRD, Dec 5, 2004.

1. NyQuiL_AcCoRD

NyQuiL_AcCoRD Member

Okay,

How can I tell the difference from a OBD1 P72 and a OBD2 P72. Is there a size difference between the two ECUs? The OBD1 P72 is larger than the OBD2 P72 right? Or, is it the other way around?

2. projectxspeed

projectxspeed Senior Member

The number on the side of the ecu is the best way to tell. Also since you are dealing with different obd setup the female plugs will be very different. Obd1 has 3 plugs and obd2 has 4 plugs i believe.

3. projekteg

projekteg Senior Member

they're both p72's which is odd for an obd2 ecu, all of the other codes changed from obd1 to obd2. obd1 has 3 female plugs on the ecu and obd2 has 4 female plugs, but only uses 3 unless you have an automatic. yes, the obd2 is also smaller.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

5. NyQuiL_AcCoRD

NyQuiL_AcCoRD Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, since it has three female plug-in, then it is an OBD1.

I plugged up the ECU to my car, with the H22a1 swap. The car idle at 1.5 rpm. The exhaust was making a popping sound, almost like back-fire. Also, the exhaust was shaking. So I take the car out for a test-run. I drove around the neighborhood, and I decide to take it out to the main road. Well, I get on the gas, until it hits 3500 rpm. The ECU won't let the car go beyond 3500 rpm, and it happens in every gear.

Well, I took out the ECU and put the previcous ECU back in. The car was back to normal. I open up the P72 ECU, and looked for anything wrong with the ECU. It looked fine, until I found a metal wire cut in half. The metal was attached to the board. Could this be causing the problem, or its an OBD2 ECU not a OBD1 ECU?

6. projekteg

projekteg Senior Member

if both ecu's even plugged in, they're both obd1. and where was that metal wire at? look next to it and see if it says 'j1', it in the bottom left corner. if so, that means the ecu is/was chipped and the person just cut the jumper to return it to stock maps.

7. NyQuiL_AcCoRD

NyQuiL_AcCoRD Member

[​IMG]

I removed the board, thats where I found the cut wire.

[​IMG]

I guess this were the chip use to be huh? As for the cut wire ... the cut wire is located below those three blue balls.

8. projekteg

projekteg Senior Member

dude, none of your pics werkz :(

9. NyQuiL_AcCoRD

NyQuiL_AcCoRD Member

Okay,

Sorry about the pictures. I'll have some pictures of the ECU up soon. I need take some new pictures. Again, I apologize.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted