OBD1 to OBD2 conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Voy

i have found this website on the internet selling OBD conversions, my question is, if i wanna go OBD1 to 2, would this be all that i will be encountering? is it worth it or has anyone used this type of stuff for those conversions? http://www.boomslang.us/obd1to2.htm

That's confusing if you don't know what you are looking at. Those are jumper harnesses. That is a harness that goes between an OBD2 car and an OBD1 ECU. That's all. It wouldn't help you at all.

To OBD swap the way you want, you'd have to convert the engine wiring to OBD1, and run an OBD1 ECU. It can and has been done, but not with some little harness jumper.

(im a n00b so please take it easy on me lol) if i buy the engine, and it comes with the ECU wiring harness engine etc, would i need to do that OBD conversion or could i drop it in and run it off that ECU that came with the engine?

If your car is Pre 96, and the engine is 96 or later, you would have a little wiring and a few parts to buy.

If the car is 96 or later, and the engine is pre 96, same thing, but more wiring.

If the car is 96 or later, the engine is 96 or later, and the ECU is pre 96, then you use a conversion harness at the ECU.

You always use the stock harness for the car, and modify it. You'd probably use an OBD1 ECU for an OBD1 car.

Back