OBD2 b16a head?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civ96

Well I have just recently purchased a b16 head i was told it was obd2 but just want to make sure ya know. The head has p30 stamped on it, I got the harness with it as well the plugs that go in to the ecu are green, blue and grey. I dont have the ecu so i cant tell you the stamping on it. I got the setup complete with every thing except the ecu for $600cdn. It came with type r cams and a 3 angle valve job. Was that a good price. This is my first honda build its getting kinda frusterating i'm use to carbs and no computers ya know. Any way let me know.

does the harness go directly to the ecu?

obd2 civic/b16 harnesses are 1-piece design, they plug into the tower on the driver's side and go directly to the ecu on the passenger side.

obd1 civic/b16 harnesses (and obd1/2 integra harnesses) are 2-piece, they plug into the towers on both the driver and the passenger sides.

also you can tell by looking at the distributor plug. obd1 = 2 plugs to the distributor, obd2 = 1 plug.

The harness seems to be one peice mounts on drivers side shock tower and goes to the passenger side where it enters the car it even has the steel plate that mounts to the fire wall where the harness enters the car. So i guess the long and short of it is its obd2. Thanks for the help.

there is also a year stamping on the head itself, on the exhaust side towards the left.

Nope no date just p30 maby he has changed the intake to obd2, The plug for the vtec silenoid is green i herd if its green its obd2, black is obd0 and grey is obd1 or something like that i dont know exactly.

there should be a date, so if the date was "2000" then there should be the nuber "00" with a circle around it.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Dec 19 2003, 05:26 PM
there should be a date, so if the date was "2000" then there should be the nuber "00" with a circle around it.

Yip, you'll see a series of numbers on the left hand side that look like this...

s3ecfcce4dbbaf.jpg

Left number is the last two of the date.

Nice thanks for the info it has 99 stamped on it there, so its obd2 fo sho from a 99 . Any one know what pr3-3 means?

the casting type if i am not mistaken, ITR's share the same number for casting but your head was without the itr's factory light port.

do you mean port and polish mine prolly flows better it has been ported and polished as well 2mm oversized valves and dual valve springs. So it just may work a little better than a itr head.

Originally posted by civicious@Dec 17 2003, 07:28 PM
does the harness go directly to the ecu?

obd2 civic/b16 harnesses are 1-piece design, they plug into the tower on the driver's side and go directly to the ecu on the passenger side.

obd1 civic/b16 harnesses (and obd1/2 integra harnesses) are 2-piece, they plug into the towers on both the driver and the passenger sides.

also you can tell by looking at the distributor plug. obd1 = 2 plugs to the distributor, obd2 = 1 plug.

So mine is a one piece harness that plugs into the tower on the drivers side... what tower do you speak of?

*soaks up more knowledge*

:)

Shock towers, strut towers, uh, I call em canon plugs (what they plug into) because that is what I've always heard them called.

Back