OBD2 B18B1 into 92 Civic CX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awesome! i have the whole 99 teg ls. i wanted obd1 and already bought the obd1 ecu. that eases things a lot!

So you can just use the OBD2 harness and plug in an OBD1 ECU and run it that way? Nice!

So you can just use the OBD2 harness and plug in an OBD1 ECU and run it that way? Nice!

Errr, not quite sure if you understand:

You can use the OBD2 ENGINE harness, and plug it into the "Shock Tower" plugs that are attached to the body of the car, which then goes to the OBD1 ECU.

For example:

This is my OBD1 engine harness off of my D15B8
PIC-0364.jpg

When you pull that out, you have these plugs open *The cars harness, which goes to my OBD1 ECU*:
PIC-0360ed.jpg

Which the OBD2 Engine harness off the teggy plugs right into ^_^

Gotcha. Cool man. Thanks for the explanation.

No problem!

Its better to keep everyone informed correctly so less false information gets distributed by accident.

yeah i got the gsr brakes and a 1" master cylinder. im doing it all at the same time. im selling the ls brakes to some kid. im waiting on one mount and a prop valve to arrive and im good to go. this really helps. i called the local performance shop and they said they wanted 250 to do the harness! i was gonna do it too! u saved me 250.....but you dont get a cut.

yeah i got the gsr brakes and a 1" master cylinder. im doing it all at the same time. im selling the ls brakes to some kid. im waiting on one mount and a prop valve to arrive and im good to go. this really helps. i called the local performance shop and they said they wanted 250 to do the harness! i was gonna do it too! u saved me 250.....but you dont get a cut.

You bum ^_^

Great post Question though. So you do use the front AC support bracket mount then? Does it bolt right up and what vehicle do you use it from the donor car or the civic?

I think I mentioned it in my thread, I used ALL the mounts/brackets from the 96 Integra, EXCEPT for the rear MOUNT, and Trans MOUNT because I didn't have those off of the donor car, but they are the same as the Civics mounts. all the Brackets are from the integra.

It's easier than that!You can run the engine as OBD1. The obd2 harness off of the 96 LS motor will plug right into the shock tower harnesses on both sides of the civic engine bay (obd1). Then use an obd1 p75 or PR4 ECU to run it. No changes to the harness needed.

I have a 92 civic cx and I dropped a 96 LS into it and used the PR4 ecu and it started up with no CEL and it runs good.

I know this is an old thread, but are you guys that used an obd2 engine with the obd2 engine harness, able to rev to 6800. Also what gas mileage are you getting, because my b18b1 is cutting out at 6000rpms and getting about 18 mpg on stock p75 obd1 ecu.

I know this is an old thread, but are you guys that used an obd2 engine with the obd2 engine harness, able to rev to 6800. Also what gas mileage are you getting, because my b18b1 is cutting out at 6000rpms and getting about 18 mpg on stock p75 obd1 ecu.

I have tried both the P75 and the PR4 and I was able to rev past 7000 and I get way more than 18 mpg with either one. I'm not sure what your issue is but I'm not having those problems with the P75.

mine averaged 28-31mpg, cut at 7200RPMs and was using a PR4, You have something else going on or wrong :(. Timing possibly?

great write up, has alot of good info. Got one question though. Is this write up correct for just the b18b1 or the same for the jdm b18b. There runnin pretty cheap at the moment and my d15 is about to blow. Any info would be great.

great write up, has alot of good info. Got one question though. Is this write up correct for just the b18b1 or the same for the jdm b18b. There runnin pretty cheap at the moment and my d15 is about to blow. Any info would be great.

To my understanding something is 'flipped' or different... Something possibly with the intake manifold??? I can't remeber off-hand and hope someone will step in here to clarify if it is identical or not, and no I have NO idea about the ECU/wiring, but as far as the engine mounts/bracketry all goes, yes, it will be the same. I'd STRONGLY recommend just sticking with a USDM motor for the simplicity of it, as well as how readily available they are.

so did you use the obd2 alternator and distributor aswell?
all the obd2 components worked with a obd1 car

bump any updates on my question
In my situation, I used OBD 2 stuff. Altenator and distributor. I took the whole obd 2 B18B1 engine and dropped it in and plugged it up to the shock towers and it's been running ever since.

thanx for answering my question..back to the garage i go

Back