OBD2 code 41 most probable cause?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

code 41- primary O2 sensor heater malfunction

i havent had a chance to trace circuits yet but i highly doubt i have an open or short in the wiring. Do the heater elements in the sensors actually go bad?

probably just time for a new o2 sensor or a cleaning. if the tip of it is clogged with carbon build up it won't get the reading it wants and throw the code.

pull it out, clean it up, bolt it back in... see what happens.

The heater circuit code is almost always caused by a failed O2 sensor. The newer 4 wire sensors have an internal heater element that enables them to reach operating temperature faster than the older 1 or 2 wire sensors without the heater that rely on exhaust gas to heat them. It's actually a pretty common problem and a new primary O2 sensor, the one closest to the engine, should fix it.

To be sure that's the cause you can check for continuity between the two heater wires on your sensor (there should be two that are the same color). If you have an open circuit you'll need to replace the sensor.

sweet thanx norcal

so the heater element just pretty much burns out/breaks internally hence the open circuit?

i have a couple spare sensors laying around, dont remember what they're from tho...

Yeah you got it.. and when that element burns out you will have no continuity between the two heater wires. That's basically all the ECU is looking for when it throws the code.

Back