OBD2 F22 > 95 accord help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bangandow

I was really reluctant to start a new thread with my first post, but I searched and searched to no avail :( so here goes...

I have a 95 accord wagon with the F22 VTEC engine and automatic transmission. I just acquired a parts car (accord) that is also an F22 VTEC and an automatic transmission. I'm going to attempt to swap the newer engine and transmission into my current car, but the parts car is '96 or '97...

The furthest I've been able to figure this out at other forums is that my current car is OBD1 and the new engine is OBD2... but this means next to nothing to me in any kind of practical sense. I'm also aware that there's a harness meant for this, but it costs more than the entire parts car cost me... so that would kind of defeat the purpose. I also saw a guy's DIY harness adapter and it looked like a friggin nightmare of tangled wires, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible...

What exactly is incompatible between these two? If it's a matter of swapping the ECU and other electronics from one engine bay to another, I can definitely do that... nothing in the engine bay of the parts car is damaged... in fact it's in better condition than my car...

So, what do I need to do to make this work? What obstacles stand in my way and what are some ways around them?

This is my first time doing anything like this, but I figure there's only one way to learn... so any of your help is greatly appreciated, and I hope I can keep up with whatever you tell me... if not, you have my apology in advance ;)

basically, the only advice that i have is the following.

Use the harness that is currently on your car.

Wire all sensors that are the same.

If any plugs differ, use the harness from the donor car to replace any unlike plugs.

use a obd1>obd2[a] conversion harness to complete the connection to the ecu.

Thats the basics of engine swaps.

Will either of those harnesses I posted work, or are they converting in the wrong direction for my application?

Is anyone aware of an obd1>obd2a conversion harness that can be had for a reasonable price? How hard would it be to make one? I've looked around for a wiring diagram and can't find one... but if the only alternative is dropping 300 bucks on a pre-made harness, I'd rather make one myself.

I'm actually trying to find info on the opposite swap. I have a 96 f22b2 (motor blown) and I'm trying to find out if I can install a 94 f22b2. If you find out any info could you post it and I'll do the opposite of what you have to.

i totally forgot about this thread. heres what happends with basically any swap. youll want to use whatever harness came with the chassis. youll want to use the correct ecu for your engine.

if your car is obd1 and the computer is obd2, youll need the jumper that can match that. sometimes the ebay auctions are mislabeld, so always check the picture.

OK, two weeks until I strip down my car and I'm trying to make sure I have all the supplies I need... I found reasonably priced conversion harnesses at Boomslang Fabrication OBD1 to OBD2 Conversion Harness :: NIPPON POWER but I called them up to verify this was the part I'm looking for and they said I didn't need it... so I need a little clarification... sorry I'm an idiot, but I really need some help here...

I bolt the new OBD2 engine in, and use the harness currently on my '95... convert any plugs that don't match... and this is where I get lost... so I also swap in the ECU from the donor car? and the conversion from nippon will allow me to plug the engine harness from the '95 into the new OBD2 ECU?

Do I in fact need that adapter from nippon, if that is even the correct harness for the job?

::edit:: what I really don't understand is why I'm using the '95 engine harness if I'm swapping in both the OBD2 engine and OBD2 ECU....

Last edited:
Im quite sure you do...i dont know how else youll get an OBD1 harness to fit an OBD2 ecu....very strange.

Thanks for the reply...

So am I right in my understanding that I keep the '95 engine harness and swap in both the OBD2 engine and OBD2 ECU? ...and the adapter is for plugging the OBD1 engine harness into the OBD2 ECU? If so, is the link I gave the right adapter? Boomslang Fabrication OBD1 to OBD2 Conversion Harness :: NIPPON POWER That's the link again... they have a couple others in case that's not the right one.

As always, my sincere thanks for your help.

Back