obd2 gsr swap into 92 civic si obd1 Questions need simple answers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a 0bd2 gsr swap i bought compleat with its harness and ecu. i want too drop it in my 92 civic si wich is obd1. i searched a lil and i read that i have too rewire the AIB and KS directly too the ecu, if i want too use a obd1 ecu p72.... this is wat im planing too do buying a obd1 to obd2 jumper harness plug and play drop the engine as is all obd2 so basicly ima run everything OBD2 would this work...? like has some1 out there ever did a swap like this runing plug and play jumper harness with all obd2 engine and its components...? :)

i also have a obd1 p72 ecu and obd1 gsr engine harness and gsr injectors... can i just convert the engine too obd1 with out any problems? or CEL? would everything be smooth.... if i just convert my engine too OBD1? :)

If im remembering correctly you will need to extend the Air Temp Sensor wires, and maybe the EVAP wires to.. you might have to change to throttle cable. and if you want you can wire up the KS but i didn't when i did this swap, the cel light was on but not a big deal for me..

If it was me (AND NO THIS ISNT THE ONLY WAY)

I would Use the D16Z6 harness for the Si and you will need to extend the VTEC lines and maybe the O2 sensor line. Then I would get OBD1 Distributor, Alternator and Injectors. Everything should plug right up and no need to worry about OBD crap.

DO NOT run an OBD2 ECU in your hatch....IMO dumb idea. One issue to support it ebing a dumb idea....OBD2 has two O2 sensors but your car is only wired for one O2 sensor. OBD1 P72 for the win! No chipped ECU crap either!

Then you still need to run IAB's and Knock to the ECU....you need donor pins from a junkyard so you can attach the IAB and Knock to the ECU correctly. FFSquad has some good pics on how to do it.

My way will have no check engine light....no hacked up wiring and less hassle. But it does require more spending.

Hey CAFROG i keep seeing you post that you need to wire up the IAB's. The one we put in my friends car didn't have any wires running to the IAB's they were just vacuum operated???

It is vacuum too but I thought it was yellow/black is 12v and blue goes to the ECU A17 (signal) in OBD1 ECU's. This is how my friend had his hooked up with a USDM B18C1 in an EGg

Stock Intake Manifold too? Hell....differences wouldn't surprise me. Actually, I think I remember reading that the OBD2 IAB's are different colored wires and (obviously) go to different places in the ECU

Honestly, I only have one real life experience with the GSR swap procedures and that was my friend's EGg I wrote about earlier. But I definitely remember running the IAB wiring with him. He did some crazy soldering to connect IAB and KS to the ecu too.....sketchy lol. I have learned better techniques since then lol

Back